Model to layout

bosers83

Hi, I have forgotten how to get a drawing from model space onto the layout space. I know it's simple but I can't remember how!

Click on the layout tab, then create a viewport of what ever size you wish. There are all sorts of fancy things you can do with zoom levels, but you can check the help files or some of the many threads on here about how to do all that. A really convienient way to do that is to make it the same size as the inside of your titleblock, which you'll want to put on the layout tab as well.

I recommend putting viewports on their own layer. That way you can set that layer to "no-print" and it won't show up when you plot the drawings.

Arch 2006? Enable the Viewports toolbar and use it to see the Viewport's scale. Then right-click the viewport and set Display Locked to "yes". That way you won't inadvertently change the scale.

Hmmmm..... sounds like a freeze/thaw issue, per layer, within the view ports

Hi, I have forgotten how to get a drawing from model space onto the layout space. I know it's simple but I can't remember how!

Hi All,

Many thanks for the suggestions - to clarify: I have drawn several related items in the Model space, and I would like to transfer each in turn onto the Layout tabs. All the drawings are related - they are different levels of one facade of a building.

The Layout tabs have a border which I have drawn, and want each of the drawings to have. This is why I want to transfer each of them in turn (and to scale).

Suggestions?

You are still not be entirely clear when you say you want to transfer them to a layout. The CHSPACE command would literally bring what you have drawn from model space into paper space. I do NOT think this is what you want to do. Rather, I think you want to create a viewport (or more than one) in a layout (or more than one) to show the different elevations of your building. Am I correct?

Sorry if I am confusing you!

Yes - I want to be able to view each part of the elevation that I have drawn within the border that I have designed, and then print it out.

I have discovered that I can transport the border into the modelspace and do it this way, but I would prefer to have all the related drawings on differently named layout tabs.

Make sense?

It's beginning to make sense. For a moment there I thought we might have to "waterboard" you to get the real facts. LOL

As I had originally thought you want to be working with a viewport in a layout. Depending on your page size and the scale that you wish to use you may be able to get more than one viewport on a page. Each viewport will show an elevation of one side of the building. It is the viewport that gets a scale assigned to it. You know how this is done or not?

The layout, by the way, is where you place your title block and border.

Ah, good - glad I am finally making sense!

Good, I have my title block and border set up in my appropriate layouts - which are all named according to the viewport which I wish to have on each layout tab.

I have tried putting various objects from my model into a viewport - but I don't know how! (it has been a while since I was taught this!!)

Put me out of my misery - how is it done?!:)

Thanks to you both! I will read through that article and see if I can't suss it out!

Thanks again for letting me confuse you both.:wink:

Yes, please do (read through the article). Then if you still have questions come back here and ask. Jack has volunteered to walk you through the process. Isn't that right Jack?