Productivity measurement

snowonwinterhills

Is there a utility (other than a magic wand) which can compare two versions of the a drawing and make an estimate or some measurement of the size of the change? I have drawings amended by various individuals and I would like to get even an approximate handle on how much work has been done on the drawings so that I can then compare this with what the changes have cost.

Could just type in: "Time" and you get the time that is worked on that drawing. (or it was open and they drafter was playing patience or sleeping ;) or surfing cadtutor like me :P)

Yep, Time tells you how long the drawing was Open but not necessarily how long it was worked on. Even if it did you would still have no way of knowing what exactly was added, deleted or changed in some manner without actually comparing the two. At least that's the way I see it.

Thanks for your help. I will go and give it a go. Final question for ReMark - presumably you think the suggested s/w give a reasonable result? I just want to check I am not being daft here!

You could Xref the original into the new with transparency. Didn't check to see what the Software ReMark suggested cost or the capabilities, so might be an option to use Xref. Pretty hard to tell how much work was done in a drawing, just by comparing the original to the new, at least from my type of work. Sometimes I may change 5-10 things in a drawing, but change 2-6 back to original, maybe even more and start over. I have spent all day on a drawing just checking interferences.

Point about qty of ink on paper not necessarily reflecting amount of work done well understood. And the fact that the products recommended by ReMark (on very superficial inspection) only identify the changes and make no attempt to quantify them suggests that perhaps I am asking too much. Worth a try though!

If I may, another word of caution in your estimation of work:

:: File Size Comparison ::

Things like Object Data, and XData can be added to a drawing that would result in a potentially gigantic increase in file size, with no 'tangible' drawing entities (i.e., lines, arcs, etc.).

:: Time Worked on Drawing ::

Time measured can go either way.... Heavy time allocation was described above (post # 3).

An example of the Lighter side of time worked... I have developed many production tools which automate tedious, repetitive (time consuming) tasks for our workflows, and the fact that I finished 10% of the scheduled work in 10 minutes, in no way means my Project Manager won't be billing them the 10% fee. :wink:

Edit: Your best bet is good training, and honest production staff.

Hope this helps!

I think the software will definitely get you in the ballpark. The rest depends on your staff and their work habits. That's under your direct control isn't it?

Remember also that output is related to input, I spend some of my time just waiting on input from others on a project.

HULK Angr... no... HULK Patiently Waiting! :lol:

Isn't that the truth!

• 2 weeks later...

If you want to be sneaky (users dont know your doing it) there is some software here that will log every command used in a acad session for each drawing and writes a log file, found it a bit unconclusive unless you can compare two staff doing the same thing. It allows you to look at the commands used and could look at performance enhancement by using newer commands. 100 commands an hour is it better than 50 ? depends on what was achieved.

Will find it when back at work

There is some sneaky monitoring software posted here tried it and it works well recording commands used and summarisng them. As we run a network it output a log file to the server the worker did not know he was being monitered, just put it in the startup lisp.

Will find when back at work

All this talk of sneaky software gets my back up. If you're having that big a problem with your employees, go sit with them for a couple days out in the open and see how much gets done compared to when you're not visible. That will tell you if you need new employees or new management techniques. Lead your employees instead of driving them, give them reasons to want to work for you instead of finding ways to trap them. Surround yourself with capable people, give them the tools to do what need done, provide the direction and then get out of the way and let them work. Find out what's causing the problems, and make honest efforts to fix them. If you got somebody who just can't cut it, weed him out. Instead of brow beating an entire department because one guy spends too much time on the phone, deal with the the guy who's causing the problem. If surfing the net is a problem, turn the damned thing off. Set up a workstation or 2 that has internet access, call them "research stations" and restrict access everywhere else. Problem goes away instantly. Don't give it to everyone then tell them not to use it.

If you can create an atmosphere of trust, where people are inspired and encouraged to do the right thing, your company will be much more effective. By the same token, you have to enforce the penalties for violating that trust, and it has to be fair and consistant. The boss's nephew has to live by the same rules as the guy that just walked in off the street.

Do whatever you're going to do, but be upfront about it. How can you expect honesty from your employees if you come off looking like a sneak that just looking for an excuse to can somebody?

All this talk of sneaky software gets my back up.

If you can create an atmosphere of trust' date=' where people are inspired and encouraged to do the right thing, your company will be much more effective.

Do whatever you're going to do, but be upfront about it. How can you expect honesty from your employees if you come off looking like a sneak that just looking for an excuse to can somebody?[/quote']

Brilliant reply ..