locating points ??Northing and Eastings?? Creating Shop drawings...

DIW_HDsupply

Hey Guys,

I'm locating the starting points of a small ~200' section of 48" DI pipe. The engineering drawings I have give a northing and easting and elevation. How do I translate that into coordinates in AMEP. I know the elevation is the Z, but aren't the northings and eastings lat. and log.

what's given in the drawing is N: 7830.476 E:62679.201 Elevation I found in another sheet, it's 1138.825'

there are two lines running sort of parallel I may be able to get the bearings from the Maricopa.gov GIS site. As one line is perp to the street and the other is parallel with the northern property line.

If it helps this lot is at 20th Street and Indian School Road, Phoenix Arizona.

Any and all suggestions welcome.

I don't think they are latitude and longitude. I think they are coordinates (possibly the Arizona state plane system). You could probably verify this with the Arizona State Department of Transportation.

I am going to try to plot the site boundary, based on what is discussed here....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Easting_and_northing

I'll post my results, but I think (BAG method) that it may be relative in feet to the nearest major LAT and LOG crossing... again (BAG method)

I will look into ADOT as well as suggested above.

any additional comments appreciated.

While the shape produced by my own method above using northing and easting as feet from some datum/s produced a shape similar to the site boundarys, the measurments seem scaled un-uniformly. As the West property line was roughly 34times too short, and the northern property line was roughly 14 times too short. I would say that this method is in the ball park but WRONG like a blue firetruck.

Awaiting a more definate responce.

does autoCAD have a method of conversion? checking into this....

RETRACTION...

This works,, I rechecked my hand written points,, re-drew the site points, and remembered to add the " ' " mark after each number, and the site came out perfect. I checked these against the civil file that I requested from the engineer. My property line lined up exactly with his... going with this method for now. thanks for the assistance...

Edited by DIW_HDsupply

I'm not sure i need to be this accurate for the piping shop drawings, but the more accurate I am the more confident i am in my version of the engineers design.