Trimming

MisterJingles

Hi all

Can someone tell me why sometimes when I trim, the line does not trim back to the first intersection? It trims back to any random point on that line segment.

It doesn't matter if its a regular trim, fence trim, it makes no difference.

Its a relatively new occurrence and is driving me nuts.

Thanks

Rob

Thanks SLW, I was regenning but with no luck.

EDGEMODE was set to 1, thanks guys.

Why would one set EDGEMODE to anything but the value which would trim back to nearest intersection?

Thanks Nestly. I still don't see why it would be kept on as a default but maybe its just because my current line of work doesn't require that option to be on.

Thanks again

I use EDGEMODE for basically the same reasons shown in the video' it's a quick and easy way to create precise intersections and breaks that's quicker than stretching or grip editing the individual lines.

BTW, did you know that holding down while using the TRIM command temporarily changes the mode to EXTEND, and vice versa.... very handy for extending something like a wall, and then trimming out the intersection without having to switch between EXTEND to TRIM commands.

I use EDGEMODE for basically the same reasons shown in the video' it's a quick and easy way to create precise intersections and breaks that's quicker than stretching or grip editing the individual lines.

BTW, did you know that holding down while using the TRIM command temporarily changes the mode to EXTEND, and vice versa.... very handy for extending something like a wall, and then trimming out the intersection without having to switch between EXTEND to TRIM commands.

Do you mean that you type TRIM in caps on the command-bar or you hold the shift-key while trying to find the button? Personally, I have no clue where the button is, I use the command-line controls 99% of the time.

Do you mean that you type TRIM in caps on the command-bar or you hold the shift-key while trying to find the button? Personally, I have no clue where the button is, I use the command-line controls 99% of the time.

While you're in the trim command, if you press and hold down , AutoCAD will switch from Trim mode to Extend mode, so any objects you click on while the shift key is depressed will not be "trimmed" back to the next cuttting edge rather they'll be "extended" to the next available cutting edge. If you read the command line during Trim or Extend, it actually tells you about this trick.

demo

http://www.screencast.com/t/qkfcmx8r