2 quick questions: Copy/Paste from one drawing to another & Extend/Trim

MAREBER

I have a couple of issues that have been bugging me and I'm sure these will be quick fixes for you guys, please...

I can't seem to Copy/Paste from one drawing to another UNLESS I paste it on another drawing file first. Does that make any sense to anyone? I want to copy from A to B, but have to first copy from A to C, before the 'Paste' option even becomes available in drawing B.

Secondly, what is the fix to make objects Extend/Trim that are not actually crossing?

TAHNK YOU in advance for any help.

Are you using the right click menu? I used to use that for paste to original coordinates but sometimes it was greyed out even though pressing ctrl+v would bring the copied information in. If that is it try using the drop down edit menu to paste to original, as that seemed to work for me.

You could also try using ctrl+shift+C to copy with a base point pick a suitable base point then ctrl+v to paste it into the drawing.

Long winded workaround create a block of the info you want to copy and bring it into the new drawing with design centre.

To trim/extent lines that aren't touching but will intersect try Fillet radius 0,0. I have it set as a macro to always default to a 0 radius

Were the original drawings created in a newer version of AutoDCAD? I believe it is a bug in AutoCAD see this...http://www.cadtutor.net/forum/showthread.php?11211-ahhh-cant-copy-and-paste-from-on-drawing-to-another

It could be an older-newer version problem. I am currently using 2010, but the drawings were created with 2009, I think.

I'm not necessarily trying to copy to original coordinates, but pull pieces from other drawings into current drawings.

However, I have also experienced this problem when I try to pull text or pieces of drawings from one paperview space to another w/in the SAME drawing.

And yes, I was using right click commands only. I'll try it the other way and see if that helps.

I would like to set my Trim/Extend command so that it works even when lines arent crossing, not necessarily only to fillet corners. Does that make sense?

YES! That was it- thank you REMARK!!

Another lucky guess and another satisfied customer. Thank you for shopping at CADTutor Mart. Have a sparkling day!

Couldn't remember that variable command. It is a useful command although I personally don't use it as I'm a little lazy with my extend commands I often use the select all edges option then when I try to extend is stops at all of the lines in between which I means I find it easier to use the fillet 0,0 macro, but each to there own, life would be even more dull if we were all the same :D.

ooooh me likes EDGEMODE!

Something I have done is in the CUI dialog for the fillet and chamfer commands is add ;u; to the end so that they perform in multiple. I use chamfer with distance '0' to close gaps, but leave fillet at the standard radius for our drawings. Just handy info I thought you might like to have. See below-

^C^C_chamfer;u;

^C^C_fillet;u;