Hiding 3d objects when plotting

noxit

Simply put, I want to hide a 3d object in a viewport without having to turn its layer off.

Just imagine a box and a sphere 3 units apart in the x axis. My viewport from the right should not show the sphere, just the box behind it. Normally I would do this using layers and freeze the sphere layer in the current viewport, but I'm developing an application running on AutoCAD and am trying to figure out the best way to do this.

Other applications have something called a "clipping pane" and I'm wondering if AutoCAD has this.

AutoCAD indeed has clipping planes.

DVIEW

"You can create cutaway, or section, views of your drawing by positioning front and back clipping planes that control the visibility of objects based on their distance from a theoretical camera."

There is one other way to make an object invisible and that is to turn off its visibility property with a little lisp routine called Hide&Show.lsp (not a part of regular AutoCAD). If you are interested I'll tell you where to find it.

BTW...Welcome to the CADTutor forum noxit.

...a little lisp routine called Hide&Show.lsp...

I'd be very interested in it, if you could! And thanks for the Welcome!

DVIEW

Ahhh a new command - well, new for me anyway! This looks promising as it also clips objects, which is the exact behavior that I'm looking for!

Thanks guys!