Utilities Record Drawing

mikesj73

Hi, I am using Land Desktop 2005. I am working on a utility record drawing and was hoping there might be a faster way to create a table. I need a table that will have a point number, northing, easting, station, and description.

Currently I am creating a civil point in the drawing at each point (I put the station in instead of the elevation), then exporting the point file into excel, formatting it, then importing the file back into AutoCAD. It seems that there would be a quicker way of doing this, does anyone have any ideas?

Welcome to the forums!

Given that 2005 pre-dates the Dynamic Links functionality of later versions, perhaps (to save production time) you may consider collecting, and formatting the data in Excel. Then, instead of re-importing the Excel data into AutoCAD objects long-hand, try a selecting a sample range of data, and do a Edit menu >> Paste Special >> Paste Link

You may need to re-size/scale the linked OLE object inserted, but this will allow you to do all of your work from the Excel sheet, and plot (no revising the DWG prior to printing).

Another, more complete option, would be to develop your own custom routine to extract the point data, and populate your AutoCAD table. This would preclude the need for using (vlax-get-or-create-object "Excel.Application") in the first place. All of the data you need is handled within AutoCAD, in lieu of the back and forth operation(s).

Hope this helps!