Loading a block automatically when opening an existing drawing

freek

Hello community! :D

Since people were kind enough to help me on my first attempt, (thanks mostly to StykFacE 8)) I am back with a second thread regarding blocks and dim leader.

When using dim leader, we can choose the arrow head we need from a droplist in the Properties Palette (arrow filled/blank, dot filled/blank, box, oblique, triangle, etc.). The one concerning this post is the last one in the list : user arrow.

I want to use an ellipse block as "user arrow". I use this block when I have like 3 or more pipes, wires, ducts, with the same sizes close to each other. Basically, the ellipse groups all objects visually and the leader shows the size for all of them (instead having a multileader pointing to every single item.)

At the moment, I have to insert the ellipse block in my drawing, delete it (without purging it so it stays in memory) then I can select it from the "user arrow" menu. I'd like my block to be already loaded in the drawing for me to use it and get rid of the preivous steps I explained.:ouch:

For new drawings, I don't have this problem because I have included the block in our default template. Every time a new drawing is created using the template, the block becomes available for me to use it as user arrow. However, for old or existing drawings, the fix doesn't apply and I have to manually insert the block and then remove it from model space.

Any idea on how I could tackle this one? My spidey sense tells me it involves LISP. :geek:

Try placing the ellipse block, I am assuming you have it as a drawing IE ellipse.dwg, in a folder that is on the search path.

For your search path go to options, files, support file search path. Use one of those folders or add one.

A much better option is to use mleader and set one up for the ellipse, have that in your template drawing. You can drag and drop mleader styles into any drawing from the Design Center.

That was quick. :D

Try placing the ellipse block, I am assuming you have it as a drawing IE ellipse.dwg, in a folder that is on the search path.

For your search path go to options, files, support file search path. Use one of those folders or add one.

Didn't see that coming. I'll give it a try! :thumbsup:

A much better option is to use mleader and set one up for the ellipse, have that in your template drawing. You can drag and drop mleader styles into any drawing from the Design Center.

If I understand this correctly, it means that it would only work in new drawings, since it would be part of the template, right?

I just tried putting ellipse.dwg (wblock) in one of the folders in my "Support File Search Path", closed autocad (v.2011 btw), restarted it, opened a drawing and couldn't see the block loaded.

Am I missing something? Should autocad automatically load a .dwg file from any folder in "Support File Search Path"?

This will work for the insert command and I was hoping it would work the same for the dim command. Sorry for the deadend.

You could easily add an insert to a tool button and then continue with the leader command.

I still like mleader better, simply drag and drop the style from the Design Center in any drawing that doesn't already have it. You can make searching in the Design Center painless by making your template drawing (the one with this information) your Home File.

You mean by copying ellipse.dwg in let's say "C:\AutoCAD 2011\Support" it should load automatically and become available in the droplist of the insert command ? :glare:

That's not the result I get, but I but see some .dwg files already sitting there so you must be right at some point... and I must be wrong at some extent too.

Last try then looking foward the mleader solution.

It won't be in the drop down list for insert, but if you use -insert, and type the name it will find it. And so you add that to a tool and you don't actually type the name since the tool will do it for you.

It won't be in the drop down list for insert, but if you use -insert, and type the name it will find it. And so you add that to a tool and you don't actually type the name since the tool will do it for you.

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaw. Now THAT works. Sorry for not getting it the first time heh.

I'm a happy man. Thank you, sir! :thumbsup: