2D Drawing. Where to begin?

Drieze

Hi,

I'm a recently graduated archaeologist now in the need of some knowledge on 2D-drawing/modelling in Autocad. In the workfield we use this program to create a digital version of a handdrawn map or sketch. That means we don't need the variety of tools & possibilities that Autocad has to offer. I am a total noob when it comes down to working with Autocad though and was wondering if anyone could give me some tips on how to do this or if someone could point me out the right tutorial on this site.

Thanks

If you don't need the tools and possibilities of AutoCAD why are you using it in the first place? The number one thing to keep in mind is that you should draw all your objects in model space at full size.

Use the UNITS command to set the units (decimal, engineering, archiitectural, etc.) and precision. Angle type and precision can also be set.

Use Orthomode to draw perfectly straight lines either horizontally or vertically.

Use Osnaps for accuracy. Good ones to start with are Endpoint, Intersection, Midpoint, Center, and Perpendicular.

Make efficient use of layers. As an archeologist think about what you are searching for and set up your layers accordingly. You may have a base layer that has your overall site map on it. Then you may have a layer for your grid system. You might have a layer for a building's foundation and for human or animal remains. I'm sure you get the idea.