two viewports onto one paper space?

vanglak

Hi, I'm not sure if this is the right place to ask, but please do move thread where appropriate.

I'm trying to figure out if it's possible to add another 'window' because I want two viewports that has different scale. For example, I have an elevation of a bathroom and a detail section and I'd like the detailed section to be right next to it, kinda of like zooming onto one area.

Say, I'd like that elevation to be 1/8" =1'-0 on a 11by17 paper but the detail to be 1/4"= 1'-0" or something

Is it possible or is there an alternative to this? :shock:

Help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Hi, I'm not sure if this is the right place to ask, but please do move thread where appropriate.

I'm trying to figure out if it's possible to add another 'window' because I want two viewports that has different scale. For example, I have an elevation of a bathroom and a detail section and I'd like the detailed section to be right next to it, kinda of like zooming onto one area.

Say, I'd like that elevation to be 1/8" =1'-0 on a 11by17 paper but the detail to be 1/4"= 1'-0" or something

Is it possible or is there an alternative to this? :shock:

Help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Use MVIEW and make as many viewports as you wish, set each one up with any viewport scale you like.

That is why I usually don't make viewports overlap one another (or resize and scale the second viewport off to the side initially before moving it over the main one) . You could put them on different layers (Viewport_temp say) so you can freeze one, work on the inside vp, unfreeze that other layer then put them all back on a Viewport layer set to not print etc (so the border doesn't print).

There is a maximum limit to the number of viewports allowed in a layout and that is 64. I believe the default setting is 15 if I recall correctly. To exceed that number one must change the setting for the system variable MAXACTVP.

Thanks! But how do you pan and zoom in within that viewport. It seems to focus only the first viewpoint

vanglak, to answer your question directly, put your crosshairs in the viewport you wish to work inside of, and double click. when you finish, you can either use the PS command, or double click somewhere outside the viewport to go back to paperspace.

Thanks! But how do you pan and zoom in within that viewport. It seems to focus only the first viewpoint

"Ctrl + R" rotates through visible viewports.