plot has thick lines not on drawing ?

mlbuxbaum

Do you know about polylines and also the Pedit command?

What's with the attached drawing file in the above post? Doesn't seem to be any different than the first.

yes i know about polylines. The pedit function im not very familier with.

The drawing, i made the center lines on the bottom bolts holes larger to match the center line of the through hole.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ReMark

• mlbuxbaum

• SLW210

• Organic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

PEDIT

"Common uses for PEDIT include joining 2D polylines, converting lines and arcs into 2D polylines, and converting polylines into curves that approximate B-splines (spline-fit polylines)."

I must have missed what you did with the bolt hole center lines. I'll take another look.

Edited by ReMark

I've had another look at your drawings and I notice that in your Properties that Color and Lineweight are set to ByLayer but Linetype is set to Center. Linetype should be reset to ByLayer. It is not good practice to override layer property settings.

Something else I'll ask you about is why does it say the scale is 1:2? Did you scale the drawing?

It is now the recommended practice to draw our objects in model space at full size then eventually switch to a layout, create a viewport and assign a scale to the viewport. Are you familiar with this premise?

show offs.......but i'll get there. I want to thank everyone for their help and advice on the first drawing of the title bar. I got a 100% on that one.

I've had another look at your drawings and I notice that in your Properties that Color and Lineweight are set to ByLayer but Linetype is set to Center. Linetype should be reset to ByLayer. It is not good practice to override layer property settings.-yeah that was my mistake. I couldnt figure out wahy my lines kept coming out as center lines. But i did figure it out eventually.

Something else I'll ask you about is why does it say the scale is 1:2? Did you scale the drawing? We draw our grid at 1 to 1 (in settings) but our drawings have to fit to one page of letter sized paper. if it cant be 1:1 on an 8.5 x 11 sheet we change out limits to 24 x 18 instead of 12 x 9. Im just doing as the teacher instructs.

It is now the recommended practice to draw our objects in model space at full size then eventually switch to a layout, create a viewport and assign a scale to the viewport. Are you familiar with this premise?- no but i will look into it. You have been an incredible help to, thank you.

I will look into what you described about full size then assigning a scale in viewport. I still have alot to work on. I did another drawing over the weekend (homework) and i am happy with it. I even did extra credit ( the bushing drawing ) which had objects in it that we havent discussed yet. I figured them out. I will post the drawing later today. I have to fix some of the layers. They are still giving me alittle trouble.

Working with paper space layouts and viewports is a powerful tool that allows the user to work with differently scaled viewports yet plot at a 1:1 scale. This important concept should be part of every AutoCAD class.

Drawing 12-3 w bushing upload.dwg

I have an issue with my centerlines, i know. I will re-work them. The bushing drawing was extra credit. I think i did the layers correctly. I created the layer, renamed it, chose a color, went to the drawing, slected what i wanted to add to that layer, right clicked, selected properties and selected that layer that the selected objects should be on. Did that make sense?

I'll take a look at your bushing drawing when I have a moment.

Your approach is one way to do it. The other way is to set up all your layers beforehand along with your text styles, etc. and save this drawing as a template. This is easier to do if you are in a job where your layers, from drawing to drawing, will remain relatively the same each time.

It is also less time consuming to draw your objects on the layer they will ultimately depicted on.

Another day another drawing.

So I did manage to finally take a quick look at your latest drawing. My observations are as follows.

Why are all your layers set to "no print" in the Layer Properties Manager?

The layer called "Outlines" has no objects on it. Were you intending to move everything you drew on layer "0" to this layer?

Some of your dimensions look like they may have been moved. How can I tell? I can see the "nodes" (a small dot) that indicates the location of the point(s) you picked when placing your dimensions.

A few of your dimensions use the wrong pick points thereby leaving no gap showing between the end of your extension lines and the geometry you are dimensioning.

I notice you always have the grid turned on. Do you actually use both grid and snap when constructing a drawing? I'm just curious.

Look at the arrowheads you created for your section line in the "Top" view. Zoom in real close. Notice anything unusual?

I'm a big believer in the use of polylines. I notice that all your linework for your objects are individual lines and arcs. Your instructor has not covered the use of polylines and the Pedit command? Give me an example of exactly when you might consider using polylines.

OK, like I said, it was a quick view. That's it for now.

Another day another drawing.

So I did manage to finally take a quick look at your latest drawing. My observations are as follows.

Why are all your layers set to "no print" in the Layer Properties Manager?-i was going to ask that, i went to print the drawing and it wouldnt show all layers.

The layer called "Outlines" has no objects on it. Were you intending to move everything you drew on layer "0" to this layer?-no, i had planned on putting the outlines on that layers but decided not to.

Some of your dimensions look like they may have been moved. How can I tell? I can see the "nodes" (a small dot) that indicates the location of the point(s) you picked when placing your dimensions.- i did move them because i picked the wrong points as u indictaed below.

A few of your dimensions use the wrong pick points thereby leaving no gap showing between the end of your extension lines and the geometry you are dimensioning.

I notice you always have the grid turned on. Do you actually use both grid and snap when constructing a drawing? I'm just curious. yes i leave them on, is that not the way to do it?

Look at the arrowheads you created for your section line in the "Top" view. Zoom in real close. Notice anything unusual? I fixed them. I questioned my teacher about them. He told me that i had to 'make' the arrowheads for section lines. Is that correct? Seems to me that a program this powerful would have that built in for someyhing used as often as a section line.

I'm a big believer in the use of polylines. I notice that all your linework for your objects are individual lines and arcs. Your instructor has not covered the use of polylines and the Pedit command? Give me an example of exactly when you might consider using polylines. I will read over polylines and pedit today. I just looked at my text book and we havent gotten to the polyline chapter yet. I will read that chapter today and get back to you.

OK, like I said, it was a quick view. That's it for now.

wow for a quick look that was pretty detailed, thank you.

The only layer in your drawing that is technically set to print is one that AutoDesk configured NOT to print...DEFPOINTS!

Rename layer "Outlines" to "Objects" and move everything off of layer "0" to this layer.

Is it wrong to use Grid and Snap? No. It's just that you won't find many users creating drawings with these features enabled. Personally I find them restrictive. If your teacher expects you to use them however I would continue to do so.

Section lines. AutoCAD 2011 does have an architectural section line in the form of a Dynamic Block available on the Annotate tab of the Tool Palettes. You can also create section lines with a leader or make a custom section line block yourself.

I mention polylines because I find them useful. Example: slotted opening in top view. It is created using two lines and two arcs. Using Pedit they can be turned into polylines and joined as a single continuous entity. It takes only one simple pick to move, copy, mirror, etc. this object then.