Dimension Problem

Hey Guys, I've searched and not been able to find a solution to my problem. I'm a bit of a novice in CAD and trying to do some architectural drawings.

When I use dimlin to dimension an object, it offsets the dimension line and text as can be seen in my attached picture. I can mess around a bit and line it up properly using the reassociate dimension tool. This problem only started happening yesterday.

As can be seen in my image, I've tried to dimension the overall height in View 6 however the actual dimension has appeared too high. The other heights in view 6 were pulled back down then reassociated.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Especially if you could describe a solution in terms for a novice.

Cheers

Dane

cadhelp.jpg

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Jack_O'neill

• ReMark

• SLW210

• dane

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Osnap is on and in Model space. It snaps to the corners I want in the below elevation, but puts the dimension in the wrong spot. Are there any other details I can provide to help solve this?

Osnap is on and in Model space. It snaps to the corners I want in the below elevation, but puts the dimension in the wrong spot. Are there any other details I can provide to help solve this?

Could you post the file? Is it just in this drawing?

Yes it does appear to be just this file. File attached - I had to hack away at it to get it under 250kb. Hope this helps.

Edited by dane

Good lord!!!. The dimension problem is the least of your issues. I unfroze a bunch of layers in order to find out why zoom extents showed so much blank model space and was agast at what I found. I am not sure what I see, but it ain't real good.

I tried a couple of moves of lines. NOTHING is snapping to an exact point, in fact it seems as though it goes out of its way to avoid a snap by several units.

Wait, it could be me. It's early yet. Was any part of this done in 3D? If so, I will go back into my cave where it's warm and not say any more.

The objects are not a Z elevation of 0, the one line I listed showed it at 16000'.

First, as was pointed out, thaw and turn on all layers and erase what is not needed. Then use flatten on the rest to bring everything to a Z elevation of 0.

The reason the dims are not aligning is because someone changed the plan view, rotated along the X axis so the two views would show. This is wrong on many levels and causes the lines in the Y axis to be displayed foreshortened and of course dims don't line up unless you move the UCS to that elevation.

If I use the UCS, object command and then dimension the dims stay where I want them but I wouldn't use that solution, see my first paragraph instead.

The objects are not a Z elevation of 0, the one line I listed showed it at 16000'.

First, as was pointed out, thaw and turn on all layers and erase what is not needed. Then use flatten on the rest to bring everything to a Z elevation of 0.

The reason the dims are not aligning is because someone changed the plan view, rotated along the X axis so the two views would show. This is wrong on many levels and causes the lines in the Y axis to be displayed foreshortened and of course dims don't line up unless you move the UCS to that elevation.

If I use the UCS, object command and then dimension the dims stay where I want them but I wouldn't use that solution, see my first paragraph instead.

Exactly what I thought, I was thinking rotated UCS or non 0 Z values. Glad you have it sorted.

I have found the FLATTEN command in AutoCAD to be lacking, I would look for a LISP or create a button using a Macro

^C^C_UCS;;_move _all;;0,0,1e99;;_move _all;;0,0,-1e99;;_chprop;_all;;_thickness;0;;^M;

Here's what rkent is talking about. In this screenshot, I've orbited around to show you the spread in the z axis, then invoked the distance command from the corner of the green triangle in the back to the corner of the white triangle in the front:

screenshot.jpg

This is how out of whack you are in the Z axis. Till you fix this, your dims are never going to line up properly, nor will you get accurate distances.

screenshot2.JPG

SLW210, I don't like either of those but I figured the OP had Flatten at their finger tips. I use an incredible program I got over in the swamp called SuperFlatten.lsp.

Flatten won't fix this one, I tried it. There used to be years ago a lisp called "smash" floating around that was pretty good, but if any of these entities are blocks that have components that are not at zero z, you'll have to either edit or explode them to get any of the fixes to work.

SLW210, I don't like either of those but I figured the OP had Flatten at their finger tips. I use an incredible program I got over in the swamp called SuperFlatten.lsp.

I may have that, if not I will get it. I am always running across old 2D drawings with z values other than 0. At one time I had a flattening LISP I wrote for R14, worked pretty good through ACAD2008, I think I have posted it here a few years ago. I have lost most of my old LISP routines.

File cleaned up with superflatten, erasing lots of stuff on frozen layers, etc.

Superflatten did a fine job on that, except for the 2700 dimension and the 850 dimension. They still have nodes way off in Z. Zoom back quite a bit, then orbit a few degrees. Activate the grips on those dims and you'll see it. Would be simple enough to erase those dimensions and put them back in.

Where might I find superflatten? I get stuff like this a from time to time from one particular customer and it sure would be handy.

The SuperFlatten.lsp is available over at another AutoCAD help site called "The Swamp". You'll find some of the same blokes hanging out there as you will here. It's kind of like a pub crawl without the beer.

Here you go... http://www.theswamp.org/index.php

What? No beer? No wonder I never found it.:lol:

Thanks Remark...I'll go grab a 6-pack and head that way.

Superflatten did a fine job on that' date=' except for the 2700 dimension and the 850 dimension. They still have nodes way off in Z. Zoom back quite a bit, then orbit a few degrees. Activate the grips on those dims and you'll see it. Would be simple enough to erase those dimensions and put them back in.

Where might I find superflatten? I get stuff like this a from time to time from one particular customer and it sure would be handy.[/quote']

That drawing was so @%#^#^& might as well start over from the beginning.