Using Solidworks PDM

gofindsam

We have 2 machines that are identical for the moment, we want to have a master folder for all the Parts, Assemblies and thier drw's, these will all be 0200-series numbers. We have 2 machine folders, lets call them SFS-01 and SFS-02. They contain all the Main assembly drw's, these will be 0300 and 0301-series respectively. When a part for machine 2 needs to be modified and becomes rev. B how do we keep rev. A in the vault for machine 1 to use? We don't want to have to give it a new drawing number, can PDM append the file name with a -A, -B etc.? or are we missing how to keep rev. A active?

I know that with Autodesk inventor you can use i-parts to make two different configurations of a part whilst maintaining the part number. You can manually create an index number eg, 0301-1 and 0301-2 , etc.

I would assume that the same kind of thing would be possible in Solidworks. Let me get back to you on this.