Methods to explode MInsert Block.

feist

Hi,

I've been given a drawing to edit and the creator has long but left the company. I need to explode the block in order to carry out the necessary editing however I cannot explode the block as it is an MInsert Block. I've searched the forums but I havent found anything relevant. I've gone through the list of blocks present in the drawing to check that the "allow exploding block" tab is checked however there is no block for the whole drawing.

Is there anyway to explode the block and if so how would this be done?

These are the blocks properties:

Select objects:

BLOCK REFERENCE Layer: "0"

Space: Model space

Handle = 57a34

Block Name: "*U243"

at point, X=-4237700.3549 Y=-1887128.2335 Z= 0.0000

X scale factor: 1.0000

Y scale factor: 1.0000

rotation angle: 0

Z scale factor: 1.0000

Scale uniformly: No

Allow exploding: Yes

And yes I can realise that allow exploding is set to yes but exploding block to attributes does not work.

Any suggestions would be appreciated!

Why do you think it is an MInsert block? *U243 sounds like an anonymous block. To explode MInsert block use flatten, selecting N for remove hidden lines, then EXPLODE.

Thanks for the reply. I think its a MInsert block as when selected a box appears saying MInsert Block.

Thats what happens when I try to flatten then explode the object.

Command: flatten

Initializing...

Select objects to convert to 2d...1 found

Remove hidden lines? : N

Unable to hatch the boundary.

bad argument type: fixnump: nil

Command:

Command:

Command:

Command:

Command: burst

Initializing...1 found

-

The object is minserted.

None found.

Do you have any other suggestions?

I've done abit more digging around in the drawing today. The file is a read only file, when I go into the drawing properties that Read Only box is marked however I am unable to un mark it.

Any suggestions?

I see you used BURST instead of EXPLODE, try EXPLODE. If that doesn,t work....

Search CADTutor, Autodesk, The Swamp and any other AutoCAD sites for exploding anonymous blocks. There should be some LISPs around for this, if you have some sort of oddball block, you may need to be willing to give them your block. Does this block have attributes?

• 1 year later...
how to use BLKBUST explode minsert.LSP

The command for using the lisp routine is contained within the file and viewable using Notepad. Use the APPLOAD command to load the routine then type BLKBUST at the command line and follow the prompts.

(defun C:BLKBUST ()

• 3 months later...
  • 3 months later...

No. Deleting it and inserting doesn't change anything. In my situation, I can explode the minsert to a block (using ExplodeM.vlx) and I can click on it and go into Block Editor, but as soon as I try to explode it again (because it's still a block) it converts right back to an minsert. It doesn't explode the block down to its entities. It's like an endless loop between a block/minsert.

I've tried every routine I could find in just about every sequence, and nothing works. Flatten runs but gives you an, "exceeded maximum number of selection sets" error. You would think somebody out there would have figured out a way to make it work.

Minserts can only be created with a block (obvious I know) so you can simply erase the minsert and insert the block. If the minsert has rows or columns get the dimensions of that first and proceed.

People used to protect their drawings years ago (maybe still) by blocking the entire drawing's objects and then doing a minsert with 1 row and column so they couldn't be exploded. The block name has to show in the insert dialog, it might be disguised with a name like . or a name that makes it sound like it wouldn't be anything special, so check them all until you find the one you need.

You can find the block name by clicking once on the minsert, then start the BEDIT command, the name of the block will be highlighted and a preview will show in the bedit dialog.

Yeah, it's not working. It is a 1 x 1. All I can do with it is explode the outer shell of the minsert which gives me a block (ie, "XM###### and the minsert is *U###. And every time you run the lisp it just recreates another reference of the minsert). That's as far as I can go; it still is a minsert in the Block Editor.

There is a work-around, but it's not desirable as it's imperfect. Converting it to a DWF, then converting that back to DWG. It does give you something to work with for a block that's simplistic, but if it's a complex drawing (like a floor plan with hundreds of layers) then it's not worth the effort to try and figure out what's missing (unless there's no choice).

• 2 years later...
  • 2 years later...
Here are two I have found along the way, maybe one or both will do the trick.

First I have renamed the block, then I have explode it.

It worked!

Thank you!