Title block text

tails

Attached is the start of a title block, which I hacked up from a title block I found on this forum.

If you use ddedit to change the text you can only ever type one line of text, the return key does not move you to the next line.

How do I change this so I can type in columns.

Thanks for any help.

Drawing2.dwg

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Jack_O'neill

• Grant

• SLW210

• rkent

Top Posters In This Topic

Go to Draw, block, make. Enter a name for the block, then hit select objects, and pick all the stuff in your title block. Once you save it, you can double click any of the text in your titleblock and it will bring up the enhanced attribute editor so you can edit any or all of the text at one pass

You can also build in some attribute enhancements when populating your title block attributes with fields, which get their value from Sheet Set Manager (SSM) properties.

Client name changed, or submittal date, etc... make one change in SSM, and re-plot. Done!

This implies a bit of planning on your part, but well worth the effort when dealing with large plan sets (I work with 200 to +500 sheet plan sets).

The text is already attributes you just need to save that drawing as Titleblock (any name will do), then you close that drawing and open a new or existing drawing, now insert Titleblock in that drawing and the attributes will work as expected.

The text is already attributes you just need to save that drawing as Titleblock (any name will do), then you close that drawing and open a new or existing drawing, now insert Titleblock in that drawing and the attributes will work as expected.

Basically the same thing I suggested. The text blocks are already attributes so the only step missing was to combine them into a block. There are numerous ways to do that, now he has 2 to pick from.

Basically the same thing I suggested. The text blocks are already attributes so the only step missing was to combine them into a block. There are numerous ways to do that' date=' now he has 2 to pick from.[/quote']

Why create a block in the drawing, and then save the drawing, just save it, one step and done? Many beginners end up using the same name for the block and the drawing name making the file unusable.

I just noticed the OP has the objects in PS, they will have to move everything to ModelSpace, then save the drawing.

Why create a block in the drawing, and then save the drawing, just save it, one step and done? Many beginners end up using the same name for the block and the drawing name making the file unusable.

I just noticed the OP has the objects in PS, they will have to move everything to ModelSpace, then save the drawing.

Yes, if you name the block and the drawing the same, that's true.

Why would you want to save a titleblock in modelspace?

Then it will work in both Model Space and Paper Space. Your choice

true, you could insert it either place that way I guess. For me, I'd set my dim styles, layers, text styles and all that, plus the title block (in ps) the way I wanted, then save the whole thing as a template. Never have to mess with it again. I have templates set up for all my customers like that.

Yes' date=' if you name the block and the drawing the same, that's true.

Why would you want to save a titleblock in modelspace?[/quote']

Good way of doing it! I use a blank template, draw up what I want and then I decide which title block I want. Just different way to achieve the same thing.

Good way of doing it! I use a blank template, draw up what I want and then I decide which title block I want. Just different way to achieve the same thing.

I bet if we asked 100 people how to do this, we could get at least 50 different ways! And the really cool part....all of them would be right!

The best way I have found is to have an attribute file and xref to make up the titleblock as this allows global updating like a company logo etc in the xref and allows lisp to change the attributes

Yes, if you name the block and the drawing the same, that's true.

That is what I said, this is the beginners area, just information for them.

Why would you want to save a titleblock in modelspace?

You can't insert objects in PS into PS of another drawing.

I keep my template file and my titleblocks separate so that is why I would do it that way.

The best way I have found is to have an attribute file and xref to make up the titleblock as this allows global updating like a company logo etc in the xref and allows lisp to change the attributes

That is a great way to do it if you store the drawings on your own system. I do contract work for companies all over the country and transfer the finshed drawings via email or FTP, so x-ref's can be a pain in that case.

Yes you can I do it all the time. You can also right click on a layout tab and do an insert from template.

That is a great way to do it if you store the drawings on your own system. I do contract work for companies all over the country and transfer the finshed drawings via email or FTP' date=' so x-ref's can be a pain in that case.[/quote']

Yes Xref's would be a problem in that case. At least Autocad can handle lots of different ways.

Yes you can I do it all the time. You can also right click on a layout tab and do an insert from template.

No you can't, you just think you are or are misunderstanding what I am saying. From the AutoCAD help file.

"Objects in paper space are not included when you insert a drawing as a block. "

No you can't, you just think you are or are misunderstanding what I am saying. From the AutoCAD help file.

"Objects in paper space are not included when you insert a drawing as a block. "

OK I did misunderstand I was thinking copy/paste from drawing to drawing. However the right click layout select from template will still work. We here use the drawing properties under drawing utilities to fill in our titleblocks. They are fields.