Discipline
    Multi-disciplinary
    SLW210's Discipline Details
    Occupation
    Design Draftsman
    Discipline
    Multi-disciplinary
    Details
    Mostly do drafting related to manufacturing. From doing site layouts with proposed updates, additions and renovations to be budgeted and submitted for bid, to updating and changing existing drawings to reflect maintenance and repair/revision work done on site.
    Using
    AutoCAD 2011

Registered forum members do not see this ad.

Quote Originally Posted by rkent View Post
    Why create a block in the drawing, and then save the drawing, just save it, one step and done? Many beginners end up using the same name for the block and the drawing name making the file unusable.

I just noticed the OP has the objects in PS, they will have to move everything to ModelSpace, then save the drawing.
    Not if he uses Design Center.
    “A narrow mind and a fat head invariably come on the same person” Zig Zigler

Computer Details
    rkent's Computer Details
    Operating System:
    WIN7 PRO 64bit
    Computer:
    Dell OptiPlex 7020
    CPU:
    i7 4790 3.6GHz
    RAM:
    16GB, 1600MHz, DDR3 non-ECC 2x8GB
    Graphics:
    AMD Radeon 2GB
    Primary Storage:
    Samsung 480Gb SSD
    Monitor:
    Dell 24" FS (2x)
    Discipline
    Mechanical
    rkent's Discipline Details
    Occupation
    Facilities Design - Semi-conductor manufacturing
    Discipline
    Mechanical
    Details
    Designer: Process Piping, P&ID's, Machine Part Design, Planning / General Arrangement. Facilities Management. Drafting: Electrical, Controls, Architectural.
    Using
    Mechanical 2017

However the right click layout select from template will still
    work.
    Yes, that is a very good point, using this method does bring PS information in that does not come in with insert. And even though the default of .dwt is shown in the dialog when you use that ...from template, you can change it to .dwg and navigate to any drawing to effectively insert PS objects from another drawing. Nice.
    Sometimes there's a man... I won't say a hero, 'cause, what's a hero? But sometimes, there's a man. And I'm talkin' about the Dude here. Sometimes, there's a man, well, he's the man for his time and place. He fits right in there. And that's the Dude, in Los Angeles. - The Stranger, The Big Lebowski

Discipline
    Manufacture
    eyde's Discipline Details
    Occupation
    Project Manager/ Regional CAD Manager
    Discipline
    Manufacture
    Details
    We manufacture concrete utility vaults
    Using
    AutoCAD 2015

Quote Originally Posted by SLW210 View Post
    Not if he uses Design Center.
    I have pulling my hair out tring to get my guy's to use design center. They insist on using the insert command and then exploding once to be able to use the dynamic features of blocks ( This drives me crazy).

Computer Details
    BlackBox's Computer Details
    Operating System:
    Windows 8.1 Professional, Server 2012 R2 Datacenter
    Computer:
    Dell Precision T3600
    CPU:
    Hex-Core Intel Xeon 3.2Ghz
    RAM:
    32GB
    Graphics:
    3GB NVIDIA Quadro K4000
    Primary Storage:
    2 x 240GB Samsung EVO SSD (RAID 0)
    Secondary Storage:
    1TB Western Digital VelociRaptor 10K RPM
    Monitor:
    Dual 24" Dell Ultrasharp Widescreen Monitors
    Discipline
    Civil
    BlackBox's Discipline Details
    Occupation
    Senior Civil Designer
    Discipline
    Civil
    Details
    Public/Private Land Development, Transportation, and Utilities.
    Using
    Civil 3D 2016

Quote Originally Posted by eyde View Post
    I have pulling my hair out tring to get my guy's to use design center. They insist on using the insert command and then exploding once to be able to use the dynamic features of blocks ( This drives me crazy).
    So why not simply provide your guys a Tool Palette instead?

They don't have to use Design Center, yet you can incorporate the 'controls' (layers, colors, etc.) that a Tool Palette provides... potentially a win-win.

Just my two cents.
    "Potential has a shelf life." - Margaret Atwood
    AutoCAD, and Civil 3D Certified Professional | Autodesk Authorized Developer
    Sincpac C3D ~ Exchange Apps ~ Autoloader ~ AutoCAD Security

Computer Details
    rkent's Computer Details
    Operating System:
    WIN7 PRO 64bit
    Computer:
    Dell OptiPlex 7020
    CPU:
    i7 4790 3.6GHz
    RAM:
    16GB, 1600MHz, DDR3 non-ECC 2x8GB
    Graphics:
    AMD Radeon 2GB
    Primary Storage:
    Samsung 480Gb SSD
    Monitor:
    Dell 24" FS (2x)
    Discipline
    Mechanical
    rkent's Discipline Details
    Occupation
    Facilities Design - Semi-conductor manufacturing
    Discipline
    Mechanical
    Details
    Designer: Process Piping, P&ID's, Machine Part Design, Planning / General Arrangement. Facilities Management. Drafting: Electrical, Controls, Architectural.
    Using
    Mechanical 2017

I see that Design Center works to insert PS objects, looks like Autodesk needs to update their help file, I know I have updated mine.

I use DC all the time but had not tried to bring content from PS of a drawing, mostly because I xref my titleblocks in to my drawings.

Thanks for the updates.
    Sometimes there's a man... I won't say a hero, 'cause, what's a hero? But sometimes, there's a man. And I'm talkin' about the Dude here. Sometimes, there's a man, well, he's the man for his time and place. He fits right in there. And that's the Dude, in Los Angeles. - The Stranger, The Big Lebowski

Discipline
    Manufacture
    eyde's Discipline Details
    Occupation
    Project Manager/ Regional CAD Manager
    Discipline
    Manufacture
    Details
    We manufacture concrete utility vaults
    Using
    AutoCAD 2015

Quote Originally Posted by RenderMan View Post
    So why not simply provide your guys a Tool Palette instead?

They don't have to use Design Center, yet you can incorporate the 'controls' (layers, colors, etc.) that a Tool Palette provides... potentially a win-win.

Just my two cents.
    Yes, I am in the process of creating Tool Palettes as we speak, I hope that this will go over with them. I had one guy quit when they hired me as CAD manager because he could not change the way he had always done things (or I should say would not change) I had worked in this office for 5 years when the company decided to have standards set last year and put me in charge. It has really been a uphill battle.

Computer Details
    BlackBox's Computer Details
    Operating System:
    Windows 8.1 Professional, Server 2012 R2 Datacenter
    Computer:
    Dell Precision T3600
    CPU:
    Hex-Core Intel Xeon 3.2Ghz
    RAM:
    32GB
    Graphics:
    3GB NVIDIA Quadro K4000
    Primary Storage:
    2 x 240GB Samsung EVO SSD (RAID 0)
    Secondary Storage:
    1TB Western Digital VelociRaptor 10K RPM
    Monitor:
    Dual 24" Dell Ultrasharp Widescreen Monitors
    Discipline
    Civil
    BlackBox's Discipline Details
    Occupation
    Senior Civil Designer
    Discipline
    Civil
    Details
    Public/Private Land Development, Transportation, and Utilities.
    Using
    Civil 3D 2016

It has really been a uphill battle.
    Just this Soldier's opinion - Most thing in life (that are worth while), are. :airborne:

Cheers!
    "Potential has a shelf life." - Margaret Atwood
    AutoCAD, and Civil 3D Certified Professional | Autodesk Authorized Developer
    Sincpac C3D ~ Exchange Apps ~ Autoloader ~ AutoCAD Security

Computer Details
    Jack_O'neill's Computer Details
    Operating System:
    xp
    Discipline
    Architectural
    Jack_O'neill's Discipline Details
    Discipline
    Architectural
    Details
    The bulk of my business is commercial curtainwall, site plans and floor plans. I do occasionally get a bit of tool and die, and the odd house now and again.
    Using
    AutoCAD 2010

Yes, I am in the process of creating Tool Palettes as we speak, I hope that this will go over with them. I had one guy quit when they hired me as CAD manager because he could not change the way he had always done things (or I should say would not change) I had worked in this office for 5 years when the company decided to have standards set last year and put me in charge. It has really been a uphill battle.
    You will fight this war on 2 fronts my friend. "That's the way we've always done it" and "I don't have time". These two are close relatives too.

You'll never fight a more implacable enemy than complacency. People know what they know, they are good at what they do and how they do it and don't want to learn another way. As long as the deadlines get met, the boss keeps signing the checks, don't make waves. Keep the blinders on and go through the motions.

There is so much pressure in most workplaces these days that most people don't think they have time to learn anything else. "I know how to get this done, I'm under the gun to get it, and can't afford any delays or distractions". "It might mess something up and I'd get in trouble." "The new way is slower than my old way" and so on.

Another factor you will fight is that when it boils right down to it, most people who make thier livings using computers are scared to death of them. They think that one wrong click or button press and it's all screwed up, so they learn a "path through the maze" and stick with it. Even IT professionals, when you venture into cad programs, and especially the scary world of programming languages like lisp, don't know it, don't understand it, and don't want to. My last employer before I went out on my own had a guy like that. He fussed about running out of storage space, so one day I offered to help him out with it. I had a lisp that would open, zoom extents, purge and save every drawing in a directory. I showed him how it worked, and I though he was going to blow a gasket. This "rogue" program would corrupt every file on the server according to him and he ran off to my boss's boss and spun some tale about how the drafting department was running amok and trying to take over IT. Long story short, I got my butt chewed for making my suggestion (a mistake I never made again, I might add) and was told to draw, and let IT worry about that stuff. So I did, never looked right or left again after that. Did my thing, took my money and ran.
    Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig. -Robert Heinlein

Using
    AutoCAD 2015

Yes I had a similar experience a long time ago but I kept writing lisp routines and after a while they would see me using the routine and see how much time it saved and suddenly I had them wanting the routine. Now I have huge amounts of routines that people can use if they want and others who are stuck in the mud. The thing to remember is do the macros for yourself to make your job easier and if somebody else wants them then they can have them but then the rules are already set because the macro is done and you are the only one who has the knowledge to be able to change them.

Computer Details
    Jack_O'neill's Computer Details
    Operating System:
    xp
    Discipline
    Architectural
    Jack_O'neill's Discipline Details
    Discipline
    Architectural
    Details
    The bulk of my business is commercial curtainwall, site plans and floor plans. I do occasionally get a bit of tool and die, and the odd house now and again.
    Using
    AutoCAD 2010

Registered forum members do not see this ad.

Quote Originally Posted by Grant View Post
    Yes I had a similar experience a long time ago but I kept writing lisp routines and after a while they would see me using the routine and see how much time it saved and suddenly I had them wanting the routine. Now I have huge amounts of routines that people can use if they want and others who are stuck in the mud. The thing to remember is do the macros for yourself to make your job easier and if somebody else wants them then they can have them but then the rules are already set because the macro is done and you are the only one who has the knowledge to be able to change them.
    As far as anything that would help the people I worked with everyday, sure, I'd do anything I could, as did they. I related that story as an example of what eyde will have to wrestle with as he tries to get people to change how they do things. The people that are willing to try will benefit just as you describe. He mentioned having someone quit over the changes he was trying to make and it was the fear of changing that caused it.
    Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig. -Robert Heinlein