What Happened to "FLATTEN" command?

DIW_HDsupply

Working through totorials in Aubin Master Series MEP 2011, pg 515 requests the user to type "FLATTEN" at the command prompt.

I'm familiar with the command, but MEP 2011 says

Unknown command "FLATTEN". Press F1 for help.

How do I INSTALL the "FLATTEN" command?

2 months ago I did not have admin rights so i usedmenu load... is this the problem? I do not and will not have admin rights, is there any way to correct this without unloading and "Installing"?

If you do not have admin rights, and require Express tools to be installed, then contact your IT department, and/or (CAD) Manager/Supervisor.

Admin rights are not needed for menuload.

So who has admin rights and where is your installation DVD? Express Tools can be installed from the DVD without uninstalling / reinstalling MEP 2011.

Rule of thumb... *cough* DO NOT USE THE FLATTEN COMMAND ANYMORE.... *cough* 8)

Use the FLATSHOT command instead. FLATTEN is extremely inaccurate and outdated. But if you want to take a 2D snapshot of anything MEP, then you have to first convert the AEC objects to solids. Do this by using the CONVERTTO3DSOLIDS command. FLATSHOT only picks up solids, not AEC Objects or meshes.

*Tip* I belive ConvertTo3DSolids is a command line only activated tool - no icon, no ribbon, no menu selection. If you just type CONVERTT and hit the Tab key it will autofill the command as a quicker way to access the tool.

• 3 weeks later...

I will use Flatshot when needed, but value the express tools for other things. I had to get help desk to temporarally give me admin rights. Once that was done I went to the Add/remove programs in the control panel and modified my AutoCAD MEP installation to include the Express Tools. Then promptly after help desk reduced me to a power user.

ET's definitely has some nice additions but FLATTEN is something I personally will never use again for 3D solids. FLATSHOT is far superior in accuracy and functionality.