xref wont work

samifox

Hi

Im using AutoCAD 2008,

Im trying to xref a drawing into my drawing , its seems like its there but I cant see anything. All layers are visible. Regen all.

My procuder

1. I go to insert > attach dwg
  2. select the drawing I want to xref
  3. select attach, full path, everything is onscreen except scale

any help?

Thanks

Shay

Two options:

The drawing is indeed attached but too far off on the screen to be seen. Try Zoom > Extents and scroll around and see if you can find it.

use QSELECT and see if you can find the x-ref that way.

The drawing is not attached, and you should have gotten a message at the commandline about what is wrong?

I'm not a xref expert but could you have attached it to layer that is turned off, I have had a problem like that in the past

I'm not a xref expert but could you have attached it to layer that is turned off, I have had a problem like that in the past

nope even if the layer the xref is inserted on is off, the xref still shows up, or at least it does in 2011

If the drawing being xrefed in only has objects in Paper Space then it will not show but the layers will come in. Or are you in a layout and xrefing in a large drawing, and you should be in Model Space.

hi

nope. its the same unit and space.

i find out that i can xref any other drawing with no problem. so it must be something about this specific drawing that im trying to xref.

by the way, i coudnt even paste its objects to another drawing. i keep getting a layer error(cant remember the name, ill post it + dwg tommorow).

til then, if you have any idea it will make my day start on the right foot :)

Thanks

Shay

I had a similar problem I started a thread about here on CADTutor a few years ago.

I believe I ended up WBlocking the drawing I was trying to xref to a new drawing with a new name. You may try auditing the drawing you are trying to xref and maybe a Purge_all save and reopen. If you can find that I old thread, I believe I traced down the problem.

It is past quitting time here, I will look for that thread later at home or tomorrow if you can't find it.

hi

i just copy all objects from the problematic drawing into a blank one, i save it, and xref it, and it works. im sure someting was hidden on the thousnd of layer this drawing has.

thanks a lot

Shay