Sketchup import Sectionplane etc., no go? Why

CalypsoArt

I do all my 2d in AC and my 3d in Sketchup. I use the section in SU and then export as dwg and dimension in AC. I though it might be better to import the whole SU model into AC and create the elevations there for dimensioning. However, it is not working for me.

I tried FSHOT, and I get "There are no solids or surfaces that can be projected"

I tried sectionplane and it shows up but doesn't hide the unwanted side. Am I doing something wrong or is the SU import the problem? It imports nicely and no visible errors.

Attached is test example. A model in SU imported into AC, and the sectionplane placement.

section.jpg

The model is made up of blocks. I usually make all walls/parts as a separate group. In the export the become autocad blocks.

Should have done your 3D in AutoCAD and used Flatshot to create all your 2D views. No need to jump back and forth between programs.

Should have done your 3D in AutoCAD and used Flatshot to create all your 2D views. No need to jump back and forth between programs.

Are you saying it cannot be done?

I used to do 3d in AC until I discovered SU. The speed possible with SU for my work is impossible with AC. Even exporting elevations from SU, cleaning up if necessary, and then finishing is still way faster than modeling in AC.

I have exploded blocks and it does not seem to work. Though I don't know enough about it, I think it has to do with the AC tools working on solids and the SU model not being a solid.

Yup, AutoCAD only can FLATSHOT solids.

Unless sketchup can export the model to solid objects, then you can't do it in Acad.

I don't use Sketchup therefore please forgive my ignorance. There is no capability what-so-ever to dimension your sections in SU?

Edited by ReMark

Well I must admit while I like AutoCAD I do prefer to do it the 1st way. Look how easy it is to just make the section in SU and be done with it. SU can section anything in the model. Why do you want to do it the other way? Is there an issue with the 1st method? I have done this before and I did have to "fix" a few items here and there but it usually worked very well and was usually very easy.

If you select the model and choose Properties what does it say for the object type?

Now that it is exploded, what is properties calling the results?

I don't use Sketchup therefore please forgive my ignorance. There is no capability what-so-ever to dimension your sections in SU?

SU is an amazingly fast and intuitive 3d modeler, especially for my work where projects often are needed to be designed, modeled and drafted in a day. (And I'm usually doing all at the same time.) That said, SU's native dimensioning is at best horrendous--if one uses AC or VectorWorks or any real CAD program. Granted, SU says outright that it is NOT a cad program. The Latest versions of SU have incorporated a rudimentary dimension program called Layout. Most people dismissed it in it's first version. I recently looked at the latest and it may be usable, though I'm not in the position to put in the time quite yet.

Well I must admit while I like AutoCAD I do prefer to do it the 1st way. Look how easy it is to just make the section in SU and be done with it. SU can section anything in the model. Why do you want to do it the other way? Is there an issue with the 1st method? I have done this before and I did have to "fix" a few items here and there but it usually worked very well and was usually very easy.

Though extremely fast, the weakness with this method is the amount of lines when you have to explode the imported SU block. A SU import that has many arcs or circles turns into hundreds of tiny lines. This an even bigger problem if you would like to change line-weights of particular objects. For accuracy, I usually delete all the arcs created by SU and redraw them in AC. The method of 3D in SU > Export elevations in DWG> Fix, dimension in AC is still the fastest, but I'm always looking for better, faster more accurate processes.

Now that it is exploded, what is properties calling the results?

Now it says "polyface mesh" e.g, a rectangular wall is now 6 polyface meshes.

Sorry to say but your faster method is about as dead in the water as a harpooned whale. No offense but there has to be a better method. How about Rhino? Heck, how about AutoDesk Impressions? Isn't that somewhat akin to SU?

Well no solution will be perfect. As you have seen AutoCAD is not really in the same league as SU for presentation design/3D modeling. Each product has it's own shortcomings though. SU does not do curves very well and yes those have to be redone. At times I would export my 2D SU dwg file and just trace over it quickly. I realize that each situation will be different. Hang in there :)

Sorry to say but your faster method is about as dead in the water as a harpooned whale. No offense but there has to be a better method. How about Rhino? Heck, how about AutoDesk Impressions? Isn't that somewhat akin to SU?

Pretty funny. I'm studying Maya at present, the instructor who has not used SU feels the same way about importing SU models. To prove his point about just modeling in Maya, he demonstrated building a simple room with a fireplace (Simple rectangles etc.) The demo was 31 mins. I replicated the same in SU in 3 mins 20 secs. That said, I am not wedded to any program, (even though I've been using AC since 1989) but until I can find a formula faster than my "harpooned dead whale" I'll stick with it. And believe me I've tried many others. Rhino, Revit, etc., still contemplating Bonzai3d. Anyway, today's roject is complete, off to go lounge on the beach now like a whale--alive though.

That's nice, you can model it in 3' 20", but takes you a few days to dimension. How long to provide some fabrication drawings?

Now that you have Meshes, do a little checking into working with them. F1=Your Friend

I was pretty excited when I learned that Studio Max 2011 can import Sketchup models, but what I've found is they need a lot of cleanup work after importing. Kind of like converting a pdf to dwg. Yeah, you can do it, but be prepared to spend a lot of time fixing it.

That's nice, you can model it in 3' 20", but takes you a few days to dimension. How long to provide some fabrication drawings?

Assumptions. I never did say how long it takes me to dimension a project. But I can tell you, if it took a few days, I'd be out of a job on the first day. As I said, In my work, I generally have to model and turn around construction drawings in the same day-- if the model is approved. Further, I believe If one has access to a variety of software, one discovers which package is better for which application. When modeling a part to be cnc-ed from Aluminum, I use solidworks. CNC-ing sheet goods, I generate my files in AC. Model for visualization and quick elevation exports SU. Of course everyone else may have different choices. Anyway, my story about the Maya class was purely and example of this. I would never animate in SU, but If I could build a street of building facades in a couple hours and then use Maya to animate it, why would I spend a day building the street in Maya if the animated results are the same? Of course if I was building organic shapes...? Anyway, thank you all for your responses.