I need a new laptop, and my eyes are glazing over... PLEASE help!

MAREBER

My last laptop ran w/out problems for almost 10 years and I finally worked it to death this summer. Knowing that newer models aren't exactly built to last THAT long... I am trying to find something mid-range that will be equipped enough to run the programs I use but not over-equipped for my needs.

I use AutoCAD 2010, but because I do landscape, I really don't do any complicated 3-D modeling. I also run some SketchUp, InDesign, PhotoShop, and a few other obvious programs. I also keep a large number of images on file.

So, the only real want is a 17" screen so I can tote and share works in progress easily.

I have been shopping all brands online, and there are just too many for me to choose from... so does anyone actually ENJOY choosing systems? Can anyone make a recommendation for me to narrow my choices.

I would SO appreciate it!!!

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ReMark

• MAREBER

• paulmcz

• f700es

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I hear Lenovo makes a good laptop. But before we get into details we need to know your budget.

What OS are you going to be using and will it (along with your computer) be 32-bit or 64-bit? I recommend 64-bit.

One other thing you might want to check are the recommended minimum system requirements for the software you will be running.

I like this configuration but you may find the price ($2500) a bit too steep. That's OK though. You can copy down the specs and go shopping for something cheaper in price but coming close to the specs listed (base model). http://www.xicomputer.com/products/PowerGoIntelXT.asp

That laptop is waaaaayyyyy more than you'd ever need.

You're just saying that because you want one to buy one before mareber does.

Unfortunately, all these laptops have useless cheap glossy screen. Try to take it outdoor on a sunny day and you'll see what I mean.

Unfortunately, all these laptops have useless cheap glossy screen. Try to take it outdoor on a sunny day and you'll see what I mean.

Really? And you know this because.......? Your insight appreciated.

Is that a cousin from the ugly side of the family?

Because I bought one, took it to the construction site and saw the effect of the glossy screen. Useless.

You bought an Xi laptop? How did it fare inside? Not every goes to a construction site. What type of screen would you recommend?

No, I bought different one but with the same screen type.

I had a IBM T60 some time ago with a matte screen. There was no glare.

Dell XPS17

$1,168

Intel core i5

17.3 HD screen

6 GB dual-channel DDR3

1 GB nVidia GF550M

640 GB HDD

2 year warranty

Bump up to a core i7 and 8GB ram and you are still under $1,500

Man, stuff is cheap these days!

Not as good above but it's a budget unit ;)

Hey Remark does that Xi have a beer fridge in it? :lol:

No beer fridge but it is nuclear powered. No batteries to recharge. That's a plus.

System Requirements:

• Microsoft Windows 7 Enterprise, Ultimate, Professional, or Home Premium (compare Windows 7 versions); Microsoft Windows Vista Enterprise, Business, or Ultimate (SP1 or later) (compare Windows Vista versions); or Microsoft Windows XP Professional (SP2 or later)
  • AMD Athlon 64 with SSE2 technology, AMD Opteron® processor with SSE2 technology, Intel® Xeon® processor with Intel EM64T support and SSE2 technology, or Intel Pentium 4 with Intel EM64T support and SSE2 technology
  • 2 GB RAM
  • 2 GB free space for installation
  • 1,280 x 1,024 true color video display adapter 128 MB or greater, Microsoft® Direct3D®-capable workstation-class graphics card
  • Internet Explorer 7.0 or later
  • Install from download or DVD

But, I don't really know how to decipher the above into the basics? OR what I should get beyond the 'required' system? This is what I THINK I need?

I was hoping to stay at $1,000 or under

17" Screen

Windows 7 64-bit OS

Core i5

8GB RAM (maybe less)

500GB HD (maybe more)

I found a Samsung QX410-J01 for $788.49

A Dell for $899.99

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Dell+-+Inspiron+Laptop+/+Intel%26%23174%3B+Core%26%23153%3B+i5+Processor+/+15.6%22+Display+/+8GB+Memory+/+750GB+Hard+Drive+-+Mars+Black/1697111.p?id=1218281188971&skuId=1697111

An HP for $1049.99

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/HP+-+Pavilion+Laptop+/+Intel%26%23174%3B+Core%26%23153%3B+i5+Processor+/+17.3%22+Display+/+6GB+Memory+/+750GB+Hard+Drive+-+Argento/1791152.p?id=1218291944187&skuId=1791152

And then there is this Dell for $699.99

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Dell+-+Inspiron+Laptop+/+AMD+Phenom%26%23153%3B+II+Processor+/+15.6%22+Display+/+6GB+Memory+/+640GB+Hard+Drive+-+Mars+Black/1697102.p?id=1218281190009&skuId=1697102

If you want to keep the price low drop the amount of RAM to 4GB and get a system with an integrated graphics chip instead of a dedicated graphics card.

Yeah. I'm not a big fan of hard drives that spin at 5400 rpm and integrated graphics. But I'm not you so if it fits your budget then buy it. Did you check out the Dell XPS17 that f700es mentioned? That will do just fine. I'm not knocking Dell. I've got two laptops from them (both are "Latitudes"). The hard drives spin at 7200 rpm and each have a dedicated graphics card so there is no "sharing' of resources (GPU stealing from installed RAM).

paulmcz does have a point about outdoor visibility with the glossy screen, I have been there as well, if you are not going to be outdoors it is not to worry about.

Tigerdirect is a good place to start. I have always liked the Toshiba for Laptops (previously used for on the road), previous job I had a IBM Thinkpad when on the job site (now Lenovo) it was well built also. I have a Compaq Presario (now HP) (really old), at home now, still runs good for now.

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/category/category_slc.asp?CatId=2511

Here is a little less expensive model from Xi

http://www.xicomputer.com/products/PowerGoIntel154.asp

I actually do like the Dell XPS 17, but am having a difficult time finding one anywhere near me in Denver. And it won't ship from Dell for a few weeks. I sort of need this THIS weekend!