+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6
    Discipline
    Education
    Using
    AutoCAD 2014

Default Structural Plate 1

Registered forum members do not see this ad.

Hey ReMark, thanks for all the great insight you have given to so many people, myself included! As far as Plate 1, the foundation plan, are we supposed to draw the spacing of beams, girders, and channels to their centerlines? Channels are dimensioned to "centerline along X-X axis and back face of web along Y-Y axis" according to the Structural Drafting Study Unit Penn Foster gave us. So wouldn't we draw the 6' spacing between the channels to the back face of web and not the centerline of the channel? It seems like everything I've seen on here shows the spacing drawn to the centerline? And should we show hidden lines where the footings are below girders and channels are inside girders? I'm struggling bad with this project.

Discipline
    Education
    Using
    AutoCAD 2014

Structural Plate 1
    Hey ReMark, thanks for all the great insight you have given to so many people, myself included! As far as Plate 1, the foundation plan, are we supposed to draw the spacing of beams, girders, and channels to their centerlines? Channels are dimensioned to "centerline along X-X axis and back face of web along Y-Y axis" according to the Structural Drafting Study Unit Penn Foster gave us. So wouldn't we draw the 6' spacing between the channels to the back face of web and not the centerline of the channel? It seems like everything I've seen on here shows the spacing drawn to the centerline? And should we show hidden lines where the footings are below girders and channels are inside girders? I'm struggling bad with this project.

Computer Details
    ReMark's Computer Details
    Operating System:
    Windows 7 Pro 64-bit
    Computer:
    Thinkmate
    Motherboard:
    Intel DX58SO2 LGA1366 X58
    CPU:
    Intel i7-960 Quad-core 3.20GHz 8MB cache
    RAM:
    12GB (3x4GB) PC3-106000 DDR3
    Graphics:
    nVidia Quadro K4200, 4GB GDDR5
    Primary Storage:
    150GB Velocipraptor 10,000 rpm
    Secondary Storage:
    none
    Monitor:
    Dell P24LLH - 24" wide screen LCD
    Discipline
    See details...
    ReMark's Discipline Details
    Occupation
    CAD Draftsman/Designer...chemical manufacturing.
    Discipline
    See details below.
    Details
    I work for a specialty chemical manufacturer. I do a little bit of everything from P&IDs to civil to architectural and structural.
    Using
    AutoCAD 2018

Good morning and thank you for your kind words.

I believe you are correct on both counts but I would have to reacquaint myself with the project instructions. Unfortunately I have had a copy of the study guide so I cannot say how factual it may be.
    "I have only come here seeking knowledge. Things they wouldn't teach me of in college." The Police

Eat brains...gain more knowledge!

I'm now a full member of the Society for the Promotion of Mediocrity in CAD. Standards? We don't need no stinkin' standards! Take whatever advice I offer and do the opposite.

Discipline
    Education
    Using
    AutoCAD 2014

ReMark thank you for your help! I think I have Plate 1 completed and now I'm a little confused on Plate 2. Maybe I'm not understanding what they mean by "finish grade." How can the top of the 6" slab be 12" above "finish grade" when the slab is resting on 8" of sand? Wouldn't that make the finish grade 14" below the top of the slab... 6" slab + 8" sand = 14"

Computer Details
    Operating System:
    Windows 7 Pro 64-bit
    Computer:
    Thinkmate
    Motherboard:
    CPU:
    RAM:
    Graphics:
    Primary Storage:
    Secondary Storage:
    none
    Monitor:
    Discipline
    See details...
    Occupation
    Discipline
    See details below.
    Details
    I work for a specialty chemical manufacturer. I do a little bit of everything from P&IDs to civil to architectural and structural.
    Using
    AutoCAD 2018

The top of slab elevation I believe is 293.9 while the finished grade is 292.9 which means that 6 of the 8 inches of compacted sand would be exposed. The elevation at the bottom of the sand layer would be 292.74.

Here is the problem. Penn-Foster is teaching students AutoCAD. It is not teaching them structural, architectural, civil or electrical design/drafting. Thus you will find the project instructions contain information that is incomplete, factually wrong and/or missing entirely. A few years ago I pointed out as much to P-F in a series of emails about the assigned projects, the structural one among them, but I never received the courtesy of a reply. To their credit P-F did finally correct some of the errors I brought to their attention but not all of them. I cannot provide you with an answer as to why that is. Sorry.
    "I have only come here seeking knowledge. Things they wouldn't teach me of in college." The Police

I'm now a full member of the Society for the Promotion of Mediocrity in CAD. Standards? We don't need no stinkin' standards! Take whatever advice I offer and do the opposite.

Discipline
    Education
    Using
    AutoCAD 2014

I am not quite understanding how to scale my title block and then make the ltscale match the drawing scale. And on plate 2, it says to show the footings, steel columns, and roof line as hidden lines.... but I cant find anything indicating how to draw the roof (i.e. elev., thickness of concrete, etc.)

Computer Details
    Operating System:
    Windows 7 Pro 64-bit
    Computer:
    Thinkmate
    Motherboard:
    CPU:
    RAM:
    Graphics:
    Primary Storage:
    Secondary Storage:
    none
    Monitor:
    Discipline
    See details...
    Occupation
    Discipline
    See details below.
    Details
    Using
    AutoCAD 2018

Registered forum members do not see this ad.

The student is instructed to draw everything in model space at a scale of 1:1 or full size. They are then instructed to create, at real world size, a title block and border for a paper size of 11x17. So, off to the side of your drawing of the building use the Rectangle command to create a box 17 units long by 11 units high. The turn to pages 4-7 for the instructions of how to create the titleblock.

When you are done creating the titleblock and border you are going to use the Scale command to scale it up large enough so it fits around the building. As I recall the scale factor will be 96. When you have scaled up the titleblock and border it now should measure 136 feet x 88 feet. It also should fit nicely around the building shown on Plate 2.

As for the linetype scale I would think "1" would be sufficient.

Instructions regarding the roof start on page 14. Some of the pertinent information you need to draw it will be found in the descriptions of the elevations.