Can some one help me with stuctural drafting.Thank the lord is back

Autocadstudent

yeah not detailed in my screenshot, it was just a quick sketch/draft to show my example of how ive seen buildings.

steps

Grading company comes and compacts the foundation earth.

then a surveyor comes to the site and marks down all of the pier locations with flags. ive done this, and its amazing how precise this is.

Then Pier drilling comes and drills 15-35' deep holes with a 3-5' radius and create a nice bell at the bottom whose radius is determined by the 1st radius

and the rest isnt important... towards this thread i think

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Autocadstudent

• ReMark

• Car5858

• nestly

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Before i created this thread i had no clue what the "skelton" of a building looked like, i was not familliar with structural material. I did not now how to start my drawing.But thanks to all of you guys advice i cen see clearlly now. the images you guys posted helped me start my own drawing.

I really appreciate the help i get from all of you.

The very best thing you could do is if you have a friend in the construction business, see if you can arrange a visit to a site and watch some steel go up. If that's not possible, you might visit a site on your own, and simply tell the site manager who you are and what you're doing, and ask if it would be ok to watch from across the street with binocs, maybe take some pictures or something. Failing that, there are lots of pictures on the internent. Go to your favorite search engine and start looking. Some of the bigger construction companies will even put webcams up so you can see the buildings go up. This won't show details like the clips and such, but you'll get an idea of which pieces go up first and so on. Most of them have a "time-lapse" button that will show a movie from start to where they are now. They are pretty cool to watch.

I sent the drawings for grading.

I will start a civil drafting project soon(am creating borders and title blocks).

i will start a new thread in a few.

Thank you all. I hope i see you on the new thread. Thank you again.

• 5 years later...
I need help with the structural drafting plates 2 & 3

You will have to be more specific than that. What exactly seems to be the problem? Have you read any of the other threads regarding this particular project? I know for a fact that a couple of the threads have images that may provide you with some answers.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

There is nothing to convert in order to plot. The designation of W12x152 refers to a wide flange beam with a nominal flange width of 12 inches (actual width is 12.48 inches) that weighs 152 pounds per lineal foot. The beam height is 13.71 inches. Flange thickness is 1.40 inches and the width of the web is 0.87 inches. All of this should have been spelled out in supplemental data provided to the student or in the project instructions.

Edited by ReMark

• 5 months later...

Hey ReMark, thanks for all the great insight you have given to so many people, myself included! As far as Plate 1, the foundation plan, are we supposed to draw the spacing of beams, girders, and channels to their centerlines? Channels are dimensioned to "centerline along X-X axis and back face of web along Y-Y axis" according to the Structural Drafting Study Unit Penn Foster gave us. So wouldn't we draw the 6' spacing between the channels to the back face of web and not the centerline of the channel? It seems like everything I've seen on here shows the spacing drawn to the centerline? And should we show hidden lines where the footings are below girders and channels are inside girders? I'm struggling bad with this project.

Structural Plate 1

Hey ReMark, thanks for all the great insight you have given to so many people, myself included! As far as Plate 1, the foundation plan, are we supposed to draw the spacing of beams, girders, and channels to their centerlines? Channels are dimensioned to "centerline along X-X axis and back face of web along Y-Y axis" according to the Structural Drafting Study Unit Penn Foster gave us. So wouldn't we draw the 6' spacing between the channels to the back face of web and not the centerline of the channel? It seems like everything I've seen on here shows the spacing drawn to the centerline? And should we show hidden lines where the footings are below girders and channels are inside girders? I'm struggling bad with this project.

Good morning and thank you for your kind words.

I believe you are correct on both counts but I would have to reacquaint myself with the project instructions. Unfortunately I have had a copy of the study guide so I cannot say how factual it may be.

ReMark thank you for your help! I think I have Plate 1 completed and now I'm a little confused on Plate 2. Maybe I'm not understanding what they mean by "finish grade." How can the top of the 6" slab be 12" above "finish grade" when the slab is resting on 8" of sand? Wouldn't that make the finish grade 14" below the top of the slab... 6" slab + 8" sand = 14"

The top of slab elevation I believe is 293.9 while the finished grade is 292.9 which means that 6 of the 8 inches of compacted sand would be exposed. The elevation at the bottom of the sand layer would be 292.74.

Here is the problem. Penn-Foster is teaching students AutoCAD. It is not teaching them structural, architectural, civil or electrical design/drafting. Thus you will find the project instructions contain information that is incomplete, factually wrong and/or missing entirely. A few years ago I pointed out as much to P-F in a series of emails about the assigned projects, the structural one among them, but I never received the courtesy of a reply. To their credit P-F did finally correct some of the errors I brought to their attention but not all of them. I cannot provide you with an answer as to why that is. Sorry.

I am not quite understanding how to scale my title block and then make the ltscale match the drawing scale. And on plate 2, it says to show the footings, steel columns, and roof line as hidden lines.... but I cant find anything indicating how to draw the roof (i.e. elev., thickness of concrete, etc.)

The student is instructed to draw everything in model space at a scale of 1:1 or full size. They are then instructed to create, at real world size, a title block and border for a paper size of 11x17. So, off to the side of your drawing of the building use the Rectangle command to create a box 17 units long by 11 units high. The turn to pages 4-7 for the instructions of how to create the titleblock.

When you are done creating the titleblock and border you are going to use the Scale command to scale it up large enough so it fits around the building. As I recall the scale factor will be 96. When you have scaled up the titleblock and border it now should measure 136 feet x 88 feet. It also should fit nicely around the building shown on Plate 2.

As for the linetype scale I would think "1" would be sufficient.

Instructions regarding the roof start on page 14. Some of the pertinent information you need to draw it will be found in the descriptions of the elevations.