Tablet and Booting up

Coosbaylumber

I run an older version of Autocad out back, behind the garage.

For some odd reason I found that if the small or large Calcomp tablet is operating it will slow down the boot up process, via a serial port connecion. I do not now unplug anything to do it, 'cept the wall connection. It then allows the older Dell computer to boot up w/o an hangup. Once the process begins in like 15 seconds, it gets plugged in and left plugged into the wall rest of the day. Only have to remember next morning when going through a cold-boot process.

Wm.

During the boot process the OS is trying to see what is connected to the computer like printers, mice, and digitizing tablets. Maybe there is a conflict that is interrupting the signal from that particular serial port. Is there a second serial port on your computer? What is your hardware setup?

I had to go in to BIOS to make the serial port work. That computer has an odd Award type of BIOS that will only let you change ONE thing at a time, then you need to Re-boot and change another item. Cannot change a whole bunch of items or it will get confused and re-boot itself.

All this is before MS goes in to action.

Wm.

Right now, I have a SIIG board added on to main slots. Needed one more serial port because of the Plotter. Still boots up as fast with or without the SIIG board in place. I think the SIIG board has little to do with the boot up speed.

As I remember, Autocad only gives you ONE choice as to port to align the tablet on to. Port one of nothing. This makes the mouse mad and go crazy, but who cares. It does not get used during an AC session. Only the tablet does.

I think you get several options with the plotter. Signal going out via LPT or serial port then. Just choose which number. Which is 1/2 the reason I like the plotter now. Easy to pop off a plot then. Oops, hit the wrong button. There it goes again.

Wm.

Wm.