Custom Line Type Questions

SanMiguel

I’ve got some questions about custom line types:

1. How do I create Custom Line types that have specific TEXT in it? Like -----L-I-N-E-----

2. Then How do I load that Custom Line type every time I open a new CAD File Dwg.?

Thanks in Advance:D

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• SanMiguel

• ReMark

• SLW210

• CyberAngel

Consult the Help documentation on how to define linetypes. You will need to edit the acad.lin file with a text editor.

1) There is a standard linetype for a gas line that has the letter G between segments. Copy that to the "user defined" area at the end and modify it as needed.

2) Technically, the linetypes aren't loaded when you start AutoCAD, they're loaded with a drawing or when you change a layer/object's linetype to one that isn't already in the drawing.

How do I create a custom linetype?

1. Directly edit AutoCAD’s acad.lin file, or a copy thereof, using any ASCII text editor such as Notepad. You can add a new definition or copy and revise an existing definition.
  2. From within AutoCAD type –linetype at the command line followed by for Create. Follow the prompts as they are presented. A new .lin file can be created or AutoCAD’s own acad.lin file can be appended.
  3. In full AutoCAD, click on Express, then Tools and select Make Linetype. Follow the prompts as they are presented.
  4. Use a LISP routine called MakeLT as featured in Cadalyst magazine, September, 2008 and written by Ron Perez. The code is available at the Cadalyst website www.cadalyst.com. Click on the tab CAD Tips. Search for the routine by name, Create Custom Linetype or by tip number 3011.
  5. Buy an aftermarket complex line generating program such as AutoLINE 2009. Available at www.autodsys.com. The software was previewed in the August, 2008 issue of Cadalyst magazine.

BTW: When new linetype definitions are added to acad.lin insert them after the heading User Defined Linetypes to ensure they will migrate successfully when upgrading to a future version of AutoCAD.

Note that if you have a duplicate linetype definition residing in the User Defined Linetypes section of the file it will take precedence over a definition found in the beginning of the file. Consider it to be like an override.

This link will take you directly to CAD Tips. http://cadtips.cadalyst.com/

The link mentioned above will take you to the homepage of Cadalyst magazine. If you haven’t got this website on your Favorites you should remedy that oversight immediately.

Now, what are you waiting for? Go out and create some custom linetypes and have some fun in the process.

You could add a load command to your ACADDOC.LSP. That way the linetypes will load into older drawings you open for modifications. Search around, there are plenty of examples for modifying ACADDOC.LSP.

thank you for your replies, i will try those later.

correct me if im wrong but what i actually did was create a script about that specific custom line type and made a toolbar for it. but everytime i make a new drawing it doesnt load the custm linetype that i did.

here is the script that i did. but i was having trouble when ever i make a New Drawing:

-LINETYPE

L

FENCELINE1

ACAD.LIN

SET

FENCELINE1

PLINE

W

PLINE

thanks!

Are you drawing in Imperial or Metric units?

metric

thanks

i also notice when using custom linetype in my drawing i should start from left to right, otherwise text would appear upside down. is this really natural? or is there a setting i can turn off so that text will appear correct even if i start the line from right or left.?

metric

thanks

i also notice when using custom linetype in my drawing i should start from left to right, otherwise text would appear upside down. is this really natural? or is there a setting i can turn off so that text will appear correct even if i start the line from right or left.?

Newer versions of AutoCAD have the option to reverse polylines. For older versions there are LISPs to be found to do this, just do a little searching.

OK guys i need your inputs here:

our office have already have a set of custom linetypes the problem is we want to use those custom linetypes every time we start a new drawing.

is there a way to do this without putting it in the template?

Thanks

OK guys i need your inputs here:

our office have already have a set of custom linetypes the problem is we want to use those custom linetypes every time we start a new drawing.

is there a way to do this without putting it in the template?

Thanks

That is the purpose of templates, why do you not want to load a custom template?

Create a Drawing Template File

When you need to create several drawings that use the same conventions and default settings, you can save time by creating or customizing a drawing template file instead of specifying the conventions and default settings each time you start. Conventions and settings commonly stored in template files include

•Unit format and precision

•Title blocks and borders

•Layer names

•Snap and Grid spacing

•Text styles

•Dimension styles

•Multileader styles

•Table styles

•Linetypes

•Lineweights

•Layouts

•Page setups

By default, drawing template files are stored in the template folder, where they are easily accessible. You can use the Options dialog box to set a default for both the template folder and the drawing template file.

ok now i realized the need for "template dwg"

edited:

found the answer i was looking for thru experimenting!

thanks guys

Edited by SanMiguel

how do i delete a custom linetype. i went to the linetype manager but it doesn't let me delete the linetype. i tried purging it. it didn't even work. i tried using the quick pick but it find zero linetype for the same name and still i cant delete the line? how do i go around this? thanks

Have you tried using the PURGE command?

yep boss....

ok what i did was try to rename the layer or linetype then purge it then copy over the new linetype. viola.....it worked....

thanks