Step Flange Peroblem

Steve_wright

Hello...and excuse the title spelling...lol

Been working on this model for work .... i managed to model it ok with a little help.. but now i am trying to make one with less sketches .

it's a bit all over the place and i was hoping if anyone out there could find a better way of producing this shape?

the trouble i seem to be having is trying to make this step flange to be as one with the surface to the model... i managed to blend in the step with the top surface but if i turn it upside down it shows it's not one surface .....i have tried sweeping and lofting...

i have high lighted the area i am struggling with and know that it's not quite connected to the surfaces to make it as one with the model (step)...just don't know how to do it to be honest.

and JD i am sure this model will probably wind you up abit please bare with me i am practically self taught ....but respect your input :)

Steve

these images are the finished project

my other attempt in trying to make the step flange same as model surface is in the zip file.

toppartanotherway1ty.jpg

toppartanotherwayyy1ty.jpg

stevepartbest attempt3333.zip

stevepartbest attempt (3).zip

.... JD i am sure this model will probably wind you up abit please bare with me i am practically self taught...

How do you get the origin in an unconstrained projection?

First thing I had to do was move Sketch1 away from the origin and delete 3 unconstrained points from that location?

Unconstrained Points.gif

There was also a redundant point on the short line.

Deleting these and dragging to the Projected origin fully constrained Sketch1.

You might want to read this document before getting into complex geometry.

It is a lot easier to follow design intent and edit sketches if you fully constrain and dimension the sketches.

Constrain.gif

How do you get the origin in an unconstrained projection?

First thing I had to do was move Sketch1 away from the origin and delete 3 unconstrained points from that location?

would copy and paste do this?

I copied the original sketch i did on the other model?

Also JD at the time i just wanted to edit the step and see if i can find a better way of doing it....

I know you tell us about constraining sketches all the time but this time round i just wanted to go straight to the step flange on the model impatient i know but it was for personal use only .

Edited by Steve_wright

Ah yes. Paste might put it in the original position, but not constrain.

I often start a sketch a shown - I wish they would add a midpoint line command.

Midpoint.gif

Anyone know of a better way of doing this step flange ...joining the top and bottom flange with the step.... i'm finding pretty hard to do..lol