Acad 2012: Viewbase command?

43st

Anyone know if you can control linetype with the VIEWBASE output? Also is there a reliable way to select individual objects for to display with VIEWBASE?

(this thread may be a bit early.. just interested in other people's findings so far.)

• 2 weeks later...

I joined just to be part of this thread.

I'm also trying to use viewbase to create orthographic drawings from my 3d model, but it seems like the lineweight/linetype is set to one type and not controlable.

Wow, VIEWBASE is probaby the coolest new addition to 2012, IMO, and I didn't even see it mentioned anywhere until now.

I haven't installed 2012 yet, but I get the impression this is a fairly basic and quick tool, that may not have the advanced display controls of Flatshot and Section Plane. The Help files says it uses all "visible" solids and surfaces in modelspace, but I'm unclear if that means everything that's visible on the screen, or everything that's not on a frozen/OFF layer.

We did some testing with it last week.. You can turn off layers and use the tool, but once you change the layer configuration it begs to update all the views. If you change scale... it updates the view to the last layer configuration. I'd guess that if you complete a complex layout without accidentally updating the views, the drawing could not be re-opened without updating them anyway. (need to test this)

It's half baked really.. if you typically have one part per file then it's perfect (more inventor cross pollination). But for anything more complex, which is pretty much everything.. it's not really made for it.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...

When using the viewbase set of commands, the linetypes of the automatically generated lines can be altered in the LAYER PROPERTIES MANAGER. It is also possible to merge those lines into other layers of your own choosing, by using the LAYMRG command. Use the selection BY NAME option, as you will be unable to select the lines you wish to change in the drawing proper.

It certainly is a lot faster than using SOLPROF (which I like very much), but as is to be expected with things "automatic", there are inherent concessions to be made/tolerated. Solprof generated blocks can be exploded, which is annoying because it breaks polylines, but subsequently one has complete control over selecting exactly which lines to show. Should one choose to explode SOLPROF generated blocks, using the OVERKILL command is helpful in getting rid of unseen duplicated lines after exploding. A good idea to separate the hidden and visible blocks, and put them on their appropriately named and colored layers (to taste). Hope that helps.