Penn Foster Oleson Village Project Check

Batman

I am also working on the Oleson Village project. I compared my drawings/notes to the images posted and they are very similar.

I was wondering if someone could help me with the coordinates.

My BM #8332 is located at 269.19, 148.33. I understand that.

The trees to be removed, the trees to be saved, and every single cul-de-sac all have the coordinates that are within .25 feet from the benchmark. All of the other coordinates are matching up correctly. :?

Am I missing something?? I have converted the coordinates as necessary, but something is still not right.

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ReMark

• britt6875

• Car5858

• Batman

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

There is no need to convert the coordinates. You enter them as called for in the instructions. If all of your trees are within .25 of your benchmark you did something wrong.

I'm not on my CAD computer at the moment but the coordinates you list for the benchmark don't look correct. How did you get those numbers?

There is no need to convert the coordinates. You enter them as called for in the instructions. If all of your trees are within .25 of your benchmark you did something wrong.

I believe I did something wrong too. I think my mistake may be that OSNAP was on? ... I will check and recheck again.

By convert I mean changing coordinates, for example, 1421176.45,783747.14 to 269.16, 148.44. This is not necessary?

It is definitely NOT necessary to be converting/changing coordinates. By doing that you have created many of your own problems. Are you even familiar with what a coordinate system is?

Osnap would not be a the root of your problem. Do you know what Osnaps are used for?

It is definitely NOT necessary to be converting/changing coordinates. By doing that you have created many of your own problems. Are you even familiar with what a coordinate system is?

Osnap would not be a the root of your problem. Do you know what Osnaps are used for?

The converting and the OSNAP comments were both suggestions the help center at Penn Foster suggested I try. It doesn't make sense to me either.

I am familiar with the coordinate system abs the OSNAP tool. I am trying to make sense of the additional help I received from them. I am not in front of my drawing at this moment to check. I will try with the advice you have provided.

The converting and the OSNAP comments were both suggestions the help center at Penn Foster suggested I try. It doesn't make sense to me either.

I am familiar with the coordinate system abs the OSNAP tool. I am trying to make sense of the additional help I received from them. I am not in front of my drawing at this moment to check. I will try with the advice you have provided.

I am familiar with the coordinate systems and** OSNAP. I have explained this to the school and they responded with "Well you're doing it wrong... try shutting off OSNAP and other SNAPS and make sure you're converting the coordinates correctly"

There is stuff in the booklet to throw you off! It is clear now that I need to redo it WITHOUT converting/changing. I'm sure everything will make sense from there :D

What prompted someone at Penn Foster to suggest to you to "convert" the coordinates? Are you located in the UK?

LOL! No! Maybe I should have asked him that!

I spoke with a guy on the phone and told him I started at 0,0 and plugged in the 142111.??, 793???.?? #'s (I am not by the CAD computer) and he said that was my first problem! So I redid it converting/changing every number by dividing in by 5280 which is where I got to the 269.16, 148.44 I previously mentioned on this forum.

I will delete that drawing and start fresh.

Britt6875, it would help if you uploaded the PDF instruction file. This way we can be looking at the same instructions, page and table of coordinates.

Sure thing britt.

I think whoever you talked to at Penn Foster did not read the instructions for the Oleson Village project or he never would have suggested converting the coordinates in the first place. The project really hasn't changed much over the past three years or so and a few of us here that have done it know first hand that the coordinates work just fine as shown.

By the way, I don't think that is the PDF for the Oleson Village project. It looks like it is for another civil project that involves contouring. Maybe the same one Wendymoose is working on right now.

Edited by ReMark

• 8 months later...

i am starting my oleson village drawing and am confused from the start. dont know where 2 start at this point. i want to put in my POB and benchmark with the BM#8332 & HAVE THE COORDINATES but just is not making since at this point. Can anyone help with someone confused from the begining. thanks

Locate the benchmark by starting the line command and using as your start point the pair of coordinates called for in the instructions. Once you have begun the line enter the next pair of coordinates. This will be the end point of the first line. Create your benchmark symbol (if you already haven't) and place it at the beginning of the line. Continue as per your instructions.

I am getting the points of the benchmark but confused from there i am starting at coordinates 1421334.93,783207.62 but am not getting it from the even after looking through the book again for 2 days. Im not getting how to get to the next point that is 113.66 feet from the benchmark at N5 degrees27'23". i dont know how to enter these or if i have to convert it. Thanks in advance!!

The point that follow are not located by coordinates but by angle and distance. It helps if you use the UNITS command to use Surveyor's units (deg-min-sec). Your inputs will take the form of @113.66'

This wasn't covered in the instructions?