Penn Foster Oleson Village Project Check

Batman

I'm new to this site and I was wondering if someone could look over my drawing for my Penn Foster Oleson Village project and make sure I was on the right track. i have attached it here.

By the way, this site has been a godsend for this project. I don't think I would have gotten this far without the info I found here. Thanks for doing what you do.:D

Edited by Batman

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ReMark

• britt6875

• Car5858

• Batman

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Don't worry about posting edu dwg file.

AutoCAD gives warning when opening and CANNOT POSSIBLY INFECT another user's work UNLESS they try to use your work as their own (which is their problem - not yours).

So in general, there is absolutely nothing wrong with posting a edu file.

However since this work is a common assignment it might be likely that someone WILL try to turn your work in as their own.

Without looking very hard I found a couple of duplicate lines - not good practice.

Duplicate Lines.png

Many times in the drawing you use three or four lines when one would do. Do not string lines end to end in a straight run, simply draw one line. Use the join command to make each of them one line. Do not draw on layer 0, everything I checked was on layer 0.

If the lines in the center of the street were center lines then you need a layer for that with that linetype defined so they show as center lines.

I don't know about the Oleson Village assignment so I can't comment on the project work you have shown.

Batman

I think you need to re-read the instruction for setting up your drawing.

The layers and colors represent different objects in the drawing.

Always post screen shots, not the drawings, this will protect your work.

Always post screen shots, not the drawings, this will protect your work.

Screen shots would not reveal some of the problems indicated here - I would post the dwg unless there is something in the assignment specs that rules against posting the file.

This project has been covered here in several threads. I suggest that you use the Search feature above and type in "Penn-Foster".

Yes, JD you are correct, but this drawing is an exam drawing that has just beem made available to any one taking this course.

So I will have to agree to differ about posting this drawing. A drawing from Penn Foster should not be posted on this forum at all. Other PF students that frequent this site will have a free drawing that they did not produce.

Just my thoughts, I am willing to help them by answering their questions. IMHO they should do the drawing themselves.

Just to put this into perspective, How would you grade a project one of your students turned in that was not their own work?

Sorry Everyone. This is new to me. I have deleted the file and have added a pdf of the drawing. I was actually instructed to draw everything on layer 0 and transfer it to the respective layers after. Not sure how to do that yet. Thanks for all the input. I have looked at all the info from this site. That's what got me this far. I was just looking for a quick overview to see if I was on the right track.

Oleson Village work.pdf

The instructions should have you setting up all your layers first then drawing the proper objects on the proper layers. Why they have the student draw everything on layer "0" first then change objects to different layers later on is beyond me.

Do you even know how to create a new layer?

i sometimes draw a load of stuff on layer 0 first, especially when i have to draw fast. although more often i do it all on a construction layer, just cos i don't like the white lines of zero. of course i change it to proper layers later.

batman - as remark suggests you should learn how to work with layers as soon as possible as this is one of the great benefits of AutoCAD etc. good news - it's quite easy!

I did set up my layers before starting. 14 of them. The instructions recomended drawing it on layer 0. They did say you could draw on each layer instead, but didn't recomend it. I have never worked with any Autocad before starting this certificate program, so I did what they recomended. Is there any recomended way to transfer info from one layer to another?

Is there any recomended way to transfer info from one layer to another?

Crossing window and select entities and select desired layer.

I prefer to get some of each layer that are easy with crossing window and then use Match Properties on the rest.

(or use layers as you go - match properties is really quick)

I prefer to get some of each layer that are easy with crossing window and then use Match Properties on the rest.... - match properties is really quick
here here!

yes just get the layers you need into your drawing (by selecting and using the layer toolbar dropdown thing) and match properties (command MA)

It seems the point of layers is to be able to hide / isolate certain layers to ease the drafting process. The paper print-out doesn't know what different layers are. And you can leave everything on 0 and just manipulate the linetypes and lineweights if that's all you're using layers for.

Possibly the Penn-Foster instructions had other motives for the instruction, but I'm sure it's better practice to work within the layers.

There's also some Lisp programs that switch to the proper layer for certain commands automatically (ie Text, Dimensions, Hatches)

I And you can leave everything on 0 and just manipulate the linetypes and lineweights if that's all you're using layers for.

Uhmmm, doesn't that eliminate at least half my work? I certainly wouldn't submit myself to torture by manipulating on layer 0. Ouch!

Set up a template once and done. Set it and forget it.

Possibly the Penn-Foster instructions had other motives for the instruction, but I'm sure it's better practice to work within the layers.

There's also some Lisp programs that switch to the proper layer for certain commands automatically (ie Text, Dimensions, Hatches)

This is true, The instructors will turn off all the layers except 0 and check to see if you left anything on layer 0. If by chance you did you will loose points. Make sure that the benchmark is in the correct location also.

Do what JD, and qball stated, because it is easier to work on layers. You can turn off layers that you do not need. You will see what I mean in the next project.

Edited by Car5858
sp

• 2 months later...

I just wanted to let everyone know that I turned in this project and received a 95! Thank you all for all your help and for all the invaluable info on this site. I never would have done this without it. Thanks.

I just wanted to let everyone know that I turned in this project and received a 95! Thank you all for all your help and for all the invaluable info on this site. I never would have done this without it. Thanks.

Congrats, good luck on the next project.8)