+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Using
    AutoCAD LT 2011

Default cheap car no brakes

Registered forum members do not see this ad.

When you enter the "Save" command in LT you get a qsave, Sketchup has a good
    approach to this, when you issue a save, it simply saves a copy of your file, no
    questions asked. A "saveas" is the same as in autocad. On the file menu there is
    a "save a copy as". This performs a save to another file name, but you continue
    in the original file. That tip about using "wblock" with the "entire dwg" option, kinda
    gives me what I previously knew as the "save" command in regular autocad. I just
    got a kick out of the autocad techy's telling me that since you didn't pay for regular autocad, you don't get that command. Kinda like buying a cheap car, and being
    told, oh for that price you don't get brakes.

Computer Details
    rkent's Computer Details
    Operating System:
    WIN7 PRO 64bit
    Computer:
    Dell Precision T7500
    CPU:
    Xeon Dual Core E5503 2.0Ghz
    RAM:
    6GB DDR3 ECC SDRAM, 1333MHz, 6x1GB
    Graphics:
    nVidia Quadro 3800
    Primary Storage:
    300Gb, 10K rpm
    Monitor:
    Dell 24" FS (2x)
    Discipline
    Mechanical
    rkent's Discipline Details
    Occupation
    Facilities Design - Semi-conductor manufacturing
    Discipline
    Mechanical
    Details
    Designer: Process Piping, P&ID's, Machine Part Design, Planning / General Arrangement. Facilities Management. Drafting: Electrical, Controls, Architectural.
    Using
    Mechanical 2015

Quote Originally Posted by jaccna View Post
    When you enter the "Save" command in LT you get a qsave, Sketchup has a good
    approach to this, when you issue a save, it simply saves a copy of your file, no
    questions asked. A "saveas" is the same as in autocad. On the file menu there is
    a "save a copy as". This performs a save to another file name, but you continue
    in the original file. That tip about using "wblock" with the "entire dwg" option, kinda
    gives me what I previously knew as the "save" command in regular autocad. I just
    got a kick out of the autocad techy's telling me that since you didn't pay for regular autocad, you don't get that command. Kinda like buying a cheap car, and being
    told, oh for that price you don't get brakes.
    If you TYPE THE WORD ".SAVE" at the command line you will get what you are after. Don't pick on a menu button or toolbar, TYPE out the word .SAVE, hit enter, proceed from there.
    Sometimes there's a man... I won't say a hero, 'cause, what's a hero? But sometimes, there's a man. And I'm talkin' about the Dude here. Sometimes, there's a man, well, he's the man for his time and place. He fits right in there. And that's the Dude, in Los Angeles. - The Stranger, The Big Lebowski

Computer Details
    Jack_O'neill's Computer Details
    Operating System:
    xp
    Discipline
    Architectural
    Jack_O'neill's Discipline Details
    Discipline
    Architectural
    Details
    The bulk of my business is commercial curtainwall, site plans and floor plans. I do occasionally get a bit of tool and die, and the odd house now and again.
    Using
    AutoCAD 2010

Quote Originally Posted by rkent View Post
    If you TYPE THE WORD ".SAVE" at the command line you will get what you are after. Don't pick on a menu button or toolbar, TYPE out the word .SAVE, hit enter, proceed from there.
    I just tried it in both packages (downloaded a trial of LT2012 a couple days ago). In Autocad, it works like you say...type in .save or just 'save' and it pops up a dialog box and you can save a copy of the drawing with a different name or in a different folder or whatever, and stay in the original. In LT2012, a ".save" acts like a qsave.

I don't understand the purpose of making this command act differently in the 2 packages, but they did. Makes no sense.
    Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig. -Robert Heinlein

Computer Details
    rkent's Computer Details
    Operating System:
    WIN7 PRO 64bit
    Computer:
    Dell Precision T7500
    CPU:
    RAM:
    Graphics:
    nVidia Quadro 3800
    Primary Storage:
    300Gb, 10K rpm
    Monitor:
    Dell 24" FS (2x)
    Discipline
    Mechanical
    Occupation
    Discipline
    Mechanical
    Details
    Designer: Process Piping, P&ID's, Machine Part Design, Planning / General Arrangement. Facilities Management. Drafting: Electrical, Controls, Architectural.
    Using
    Mechanical 2015

Quote Originally Posted by Jack_O'neill View Post
    I just tried it in both packages (downloaded a trial of LT2012 a couple days ago). In Autocad, it works like you say...type in .save or just 'save' and it pops up a dialog box and you can save a copy of the drawing with a different name or in a different folder or whatever, and stay in the original. In LT2012, a ".save" acts like a qsave.

I don't understand the purpose of making this command act differently in the 2 packages, but they did. Makes no sense.
    OK, thanks for confirming. LT looks less and less viable as an alternate, the list of commands that have been disabled continues to grow.

So the most obvious choice I see for the OP is to saveas to a new file name, close that file, open the original file.
    Or if not in the file, rename the file, open, saveas to original file name.
    Sometimes there's a man... I won't say a hero, 'cause, what's a hero? But sometimes, there's a man. And I'm talkin' about the Dude here. Sometimes, there's a man, well, he's the man for his time and place. He fits right in there. And that's the Dude, in Los Angeles. - The Stranger, The Big Lebowski

Computer Details
    Jack_O'neill's Computer Details
    Operating System:
    xp
    Discipline
    Architectural
    Jack_O'neill's Discipline Details
    Discipline
    Architectural
    Details
    The bulk of my business is commercial curtainwall, site plans and floor plans. I do occasionally get a bit of tool and die, and the odd house now and again.
    Using
    AutoCAD 2010

Or simply do a save, followed by a save as, give it a name and keep going. You'd be working on the new file, but the original would be intact. For instance, if the thing was called whatsit1 then hit save, then save as whatsit2 and keep working. some time in the future, repeat with whatsit3. You'd have incremental files that show the progress on the job that way, and they'd be numbered sequentially.
    Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig. -Robert Heinlein

Computer Details
    rkent's Computer Details
    Operating System:
    WIN7 PRO 64bit
    Computer:
    Dell Precision T7500
    CPU:
    RAM:
    Graphics:
    nVidia Quadro 3800
    Primary Storage:
    300Gb, 10K rpm
    Monitor:
    Dell 24" FS (2x)
    Discipline
    Mechanical
    Occupation
    Discipline
    Mechanical
    Details
    Using
    Mechanical 2015

Quote Originally Posted by Jack_O'neill View Post
    Or simply do a save, followed by a save as, give it a name and keep going. You'd be working on the new file, but the original would be intact. For instance, if the thing was called whatsit1 then hit save, then save as whatsit2 and keep working. some time in the future, repeat with whatsit3. You'd have incremental files that show the progress on the job that way, and they'd be numbered sequentially.
    The OP wrote

..and have always used the save command to save a copy to another name, while still remaining in the original file.

Using
    AutoCAD LT 2011

Yes that would be an "autosave" function. I like the wblock workaround, when saving to another location on the network "saveas"
    leaves you out there at another network location, I know this is much ado about nothing, (I have never spent so much time on a
    sort of trivial matter) buuut it has been interesting, and has gotten me familiar with the forum process, again thanks for your help.

Computer Details
    Dana W's Computer Details
    Operating System:
    Windows 8 64 bit
    Computer:
    Dell XPS ONE 2710
    Motherboard:
    Dunno
    CPU:
    Intel I-5 3330S @ 2.7 Ghz
    RAM:
    6 Gb
    Graphics:
    On board barely adequate
    Primary Storage:
    1 Terrabyte
    Secondary Storage:
    1 Terrabyte external
    Monitor:
    All in one 27" touch & pen
    Discipline
    Construction
    Dana W's Discipline Details
    Occupation
    Independent Architectural Draftsman
    Discipline
    Construction
    Details
    Residential Homes, Construction and Renovation
    Using
    AutoCAD LT 2009

Are you saying in LT you can't type .save? It doesn't recognize the command or just what happens when you do that?
    It Saves. It merely saves current edits to the current dwg, no secondary copy results.

Sorry. Somebody said that already, yesterday.
    Yogi Berra: "In theory there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice there is."

Computer Details
    Glen1980's Computer Details
    Operating System:
    7 Pro 64
    Computer:
    HP Compaq Elite 8300 CMT
    Motherboard:
    Intel
    CPU:
    Core i5-3570 @ 3.4GHz
    RAM:
    16GB
    Graphics:
    NVIDIA Quaddro 600
    Primary Storage:
    500GB
    Monitor:
    22" Wide 17" Square
    Discipline
    Architectural
    Glen1980's Discipline Details
    Occupation
    Architectural Technician - Residential
    Discipline
    Architectural
    Details
    High Rise concrete frame. Low Rise traditional masonry construction Low Rise Timber Frame Conversion - Office, Schools & Colleges, Hospitals to residential flats/apartments.
    Using
    AutoCAD 2014

OK, thanks for confirming. LT looks less and less viable as an alternate, the list of commands that have been disabled continues to grow.

So the most obvious choice I see for the OP is to saveas to a new file name, close that file, open the original file.
    Or if not in the file, rename the file, open, saveas to original file name.
    I work with LT and they have been giving us more and more full version 2D functionality over the last 5 years. The only problem I have is the lack of LISP. I want to play with LISP and learn how to automate the boring stuff e.g. the other day I had to renumber 120 block attributes to match an excel file.

I like the WBlock workaround, it even retains X-Ref paths.
    "Remember Baldrick, we are not at home to Mr Cock Up" - E Blackadder

Computer Details
    dbroada's Computer Details
    Operating System:
    Windows 7 Professional
    Computer:
    Dell
    CPU:
    Intel Xeon E5-1603@2,80GHz
    RAM:
    4GB
    Graphics:
    NVIDA Quadro K600
    Monitor:
    DELL 23" & SAMSUNG 21"
    Discipline
    Electro/Mech
    dbroada's Discipline Details
    Occupation
    Design Engineer
    Discipline
    Electro/Mech
    Using
    Electrical 2013

Registered forum members do not see this ad.

Quote Originally Posted by jaccna View Post
    I like the wblock workaround,
    but WBLOCK will strip all redundant information (in effect PURGE the drawing). You may want this but if you have set up blocks and layers in readiness for the next stage you will need to recreate them after the WBLOCK instruction.
    "That's it. It's one thing for a ghost to terrorize my children, but quite another for him to play my Theremin." Homer Simpson
    "Everything in drafting is logical. Except what isn’t." - Gavin Guile. (from the Lightbringer series of books by Brent Weeks)

Dave