Super computer and still slow AutoCAD

harrison-matt

Hello,

my computer:

Intel Core i7 CPU 950 @ 3.07GHz

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 470

RAM: 12 GB

64-Bit Windows 7

All of this and my AutoCAD is slugging around, now, I am fast, very fast. But am only as fast as my machine and with these specs I would imagin Cad would be more responsive to commands like move, erase, trim, stretch. But no...

Is there any suggestions to get cad to working faster?

PS it is a network licensed cad.

Matt H.

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ReMark

• Glen1980

• rkent

• nestly

Top Posters In This Topic

A few things to check..

- Are you using the latest Nvidia drivers as tested by AutoDesk? I think this is version 260.99 for your card, but check on the AutoDesk site. Run the uninstaller and don't install them on top of the other driver.

- Are you using multiple monitors? Try troubleshooting on a single monitor via. DVI connection.

Hello,

my computer:

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 470

64-Bit Windows 7

All of this and my AutoCAD is slugging around, now, I am fast, very fast. But am only as fast as my machine and with these specs I would imagin Cad would be more responsive to commands like move, erase, trim, stretch. But no...

Matt H.

You can go through this, you might try 90 and 91 first.

It is interesting how many people with i7 processors complain about AutoCAD speed. I use Xeons at work with no speed problems and my laptop at home is a dual pentium system with no speed problems.

SPEED UP AUTOCAD 03-29-11.pdf

i7's are slow? Great! Just got a new CAD computer at work and it is an i7 quad-core 960 - 3.2GHz. Will be loading AutoCAD 2010 and 2011 tomorrow (Wednesday). Guess I'll find out soon enough.

i7's are slow? Great! Just got a new CAD computer at work and it is an i7 quad-core 960 - 3.2GHz. Will be loading AutoCAD 2010 and 2011 tomorrow (Wednesday). Guess I'll find out soon enough.

There's definitely "something" going on that's causing fast rigs to be slow with AutoCAD, but it seems to be pretty random. I've got a first generation Core Duo XP laptop with feeble 64MB (yes, 64MB) video card that runs AutoCAD 2011 just fine, and a Win7 64bit, i7 Quad, 12GB Ram, 1GB Quadro that also runs 2011 just fine (it did just fine when it only had 4GB Ram also). My 3rd machine is halfway in between the first two, and it gets along with 2011 famously also.

I don't think the people having trouble are necessarily doing anything wrong, or have inferior hardware, I just think AutoCAD doesn't like some configurations, and you won't know until after you install it.

Could I ask why you will install 2010 and 2011?

1) Because as a Subcription member I can.

2) To assist me with answering questions.

3) I never fully adopted 2011 even though I had it loaded. Eagerly awaiting 2012.

Do I have to uninstall 2004 from my home system? LOL

Maybe AutoDesk ought to publish a set of "hard" specs for maximizing AutoCAD performance. But I guess the makers of computers would not take kindly to AutoDesk recommending one system over another. Scratch the idea.

I also have found the speed of 64 bit AutoCAD 2011 underwhelming on my i7. It is a Dell with 8GB ram and a 512Mb graphics card and between Windows 7 and AutoCAD I'm not really finding it much quicker than my old XP laptop. The same machine with Ubuntu dual booted flies just a shame I can't install CAD to it.

Maybe it is the pre-installed Win 7? Has anyone replaced the OEM versions with a proper full version install?

I have a full version of Win7 Ultimate 64-bit that I get directly from Microsoft installed on my home CAD computer. Everything runs fine. No speed problems.

My new work computer has Win7 Pro 64-bit loaded. Still testing it out.

I had a present from Autodesk in my mailbox Monday.

I'm jealous. Don't expect to see mine until April.

Update:

2012 arrived yesterday. Our administrative aide just delievered my copy! It's gonna be a fun day!

Edited by ReMark

My home machine has pro pre-installed by Dell. Might have to see how much a license of 7 ultimate costs, although as I only CAD at home occasionally might get home if it is prohibitively expensive.

You can go through this, you might try 90 and 91 first.

It is interesting how many people with i7 processors complain about AutoCAD speed. I use Xeons at work with no speed problems and my laptop at home is a dual pentium system with no speed problems.

#'s 20 and 30 on that list will slow down the best of machines. I noticed the OP has MEP listed as the program used.

Initial testing using Win7 Pro 64-bit and AutoCAD 2012 64-bit exhibits no speed related problems with 99% of the types of drawings I work on in my day-to-day job. The one minor performance hit I encountered was with a 38MB 3D drawing of a 3-story distillation column and all the equipment and piping that goes along with it plus the structural framework to support it. The problem came about as I tried to move the entire assembly 50 feet. There was a noticeable lag. I was using the Realistic visual style at the time.

I have an I7 at home and at work and I don't experience any speed problems with any programs.

The only problem I have is with working on files on our server. Sometimes, with big files, I have to copy them to my desktop to work on them and then save them back at the end of the day.

Laptop users take note. Most laptops can benefit from a change in the Power Plan Profile from "Balanced" (Windows default setting) to "High Performance". Microsoft does not make this easy to find however.

Hello,

my computer:

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 470

64-Bit Windows 7

Matt H.

Look man... what you wrote tells us only 50% of what kind of a PC you have. I will try to explain you and everyone else here, why is that so:

1. do you have a good cooler on your CPU? The serial ones are worth nothing and they will not manage to cool your CPU as they should. Unsufficient cooling leads into slowing down and heating up your processor. I suggest you to buy SCYTHE MUGEN 2 cooler or any other above 50$.

2. What brand of GTX470? Gigabyte, Gainward, Point of view, Sparkle... ??? THEY ARE DIFFERENT!! By different I mean that some have better cooling system, some have 700MHZ of GPU Clockspeed, others have 607 and they are all GTX470 but from a different manufacturer. See??!!

3. RAM 12GB means nothing. It's like you would say you have a Toyota RAV4. Tells us nothing. What engine, how many HP, with AC or without it, with alu rims or not, etc etc... It's the same in RAM. What latency, voltage, capacity, speed?? If you have latency 9 and speed 1333Mhz, it wouldn't surprise me that your PC is slow in Autocad. For example take a look of this site:

http://benchmarkreviews.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=494&Itemid=67&limit=1&limitstart=5

Here you will see that 12GB really doesn't help much nor say much.

4. What hard drive do you have? If you're using a green version of Western Digital you should be lucky that your PC still works. Don't use green version for your operating hard drive never ever because it will broke sooner than you expect! Such hard drives are meant for storage only. For you it would be the best if you would have your Autocad on SSD disk, maybe on Crucial or OCZ Vertex3. If you find it too expensive, use WD Black Caviar version. I assume that your motherboard doesn't have SATA600 controler, so go for SATA300.

5. Power supply... if it does not produce enough power, the program will not work as it should and in some cases, energy variations are seen which is really, really bad for your PC. It's like you would be put to an area with +50°C and then after 1 minute, to an area with -50°C and then again back there etc x 100 times.. I mean, it would make you so ill that eventually you would die! :)

So as you see... when buying a PC, there's so many things you have to pay attention and things like GTX470, 12GB of RAM really tell you nothing. I hope this helps you a bit in understanding and knowing what might cause this problem of yours. Do some research.8)

• 3 weeks later...