can i use inventor to find the flat shape of a cone?

gargoyle27

we are making a cone made from a flat peice of plate that will be rolled into a cone, can i use inventor to figure out what the flat shape will be? the cone is 3.5" tall, the small diameter is 13" and the large is 27"

thanks

Edited by gargoyle27

here i go again..lol please bare with me but this is what i would do

draw your first circle 13" finish sketch

you need to offset a plane 3.5" from xy plane

then draw your other circle on this plane

loft the 2 together..thickien the cone to what ever thickness your material is

then extrude a line at one side of the cone only

then split the cone with the extruded line

then convert to sheet metal

set your defaults

then flatten

it worked for me ..and once again i am hoping this is what you are looking for... my apologies if it isn't..(the measurements have been converted to millimetres )

hmmm, interesting, i'm not sure that's what i'm looking for, i was able to find an online calculator for this, i knew one would exist but wanted to use inventor if possible (calculator i found is here http://www.red-bag.com/engintools/calccone.php) that is more what i was looking for, so it can be burnt out on our burn table and bend into a cone, as it turn out its expanded metal so it will be done by hand

thanks anyway tho :D

hmmm, interesting, i'm not sure that's what i'm looking for, i was able to find an online calculator for this, i knew one would exist but wanted to use inventor if possible (calculator i found is here http://www.red-bag.com/engintools/calccone.php) that is more what i was looking for, so it can be burnt out on our burn table and bend into a cone, as it turn out its expanded metal so it will be done by hand

thanks anyway tho :D

wierd in it how i actually put all the dimensions you gave me and when i went to flatten it ..it doesn't really give you the right flat pattern..

i've made my mind up now...i aint going to put any more vids up..i aint experienced enough yet!!...lol

Are you really stuck back on Inventor 2009 (solution depends on using 2010 or latter or 2009 or earlier)?

2009 a revolved angle line as surface - then Thicken. I post solution when I get a chance.

yeah 2009, we were looking at upgrading, but it's pricey, if we would have known we would have just held the subscription because thats about how much upgrading now would cost

As JD stated above... Revolve a surface, (359.9) angle. Thicken, convert to sheet metal, (check your default thickness), and change accordingly.

rev_cone.png

Now you should be able to yield your flat pattern from your cone.

flat_cone.png

Now you can export surface to .dxf for cutting...

Good Luck

KC

Go to the sheet metal environment.

Make sure your Sheet Metal styles are set to thickness of material.

Click on a face of the part and select Flat Pattern.