AutoCad2011 Paperspace printing layout help

AThompson

Hi.

I'm new to this forum, and also pretty new with autocad. For an assignment ive to use it to produce a drawing. But for a good grade I'd like to learn how to create a printing layout for my drawing. I'm pretty good with model space.

But new with using paperspace.

Could you please advise me, give me some steps and some clues, on how i would create this image,( just a 5 second attempt to illustrate what I am trying to achieve), in AutoCad:

exampled.png

Obviously id be inserting my drawing from modelspace into the big white area in the middle, but just cant seem to follow anything ive found so far on the net successfuly to get to my goal here.

Many thanks,

A.

Your title block and border really belongs in a paper space layout as your title suggests. However it can be created in model space and saved as a .dwt (template) file for insertion into a layout at some future date.

The rectangular border can be drawn using the RECTANGLE command.

The "tic marks" on one side can be done by drawing just one then using the ARRAY command to create the others. The same goes for the top or the bottom tic marks. Do one and either the top or the bottom then use the MIRROR command to mirror what you drew to the opposite side.

What size paper were you thinking of using when you plot?

Do you know anything about creating and using layers?

Do you know how to create a text style?

Are you familiar with the ORTHO command and OSNAPS?

To add to ReMarks remarks.

From modelspace draw your title block as you have shown to a size for your printer and part of the world. For the lower right titleblock area give yourself some more space so you can have text that says Name: and then to the right of that you create an attribute so when you do insert this the attributes can be edited while the titleblock stays as a block. You create attributes by starting the ATTDEF command, for now just concentrate on the three lines to the right, tag, prompt, and default. The tag for this example could be name, the prompt could be "enter drafters name" (don't include the quotes), and prompt could be X or ---, you pick OK and then pick to place the attribute text. Repeat for the other lines. Now save the file to mytitleblock.dwg. Now in a drawing set a layout current, insert, mytitleblock, place at 0,0, you will be prompted for the attributes, so fill those in. If you aren't prompted for the attributes then double click on one of the --- attributes and then fill things in.

The attributes will show up in the order you created them in the drawing mytitleblock.

There is obviously lots more to it but that should get you going.

Your title block and border really belongs in a paper space layout as your title suggests. However it can be created in model space and saved as a .dwt (template) file for insertion into a layout at some future date.

The rectangular border can be drawn using the RECTANGLE command.

The "tic marks" on one side can be done by drawing just one then using the ARRAY command to create the others. The same goes for the top or the bottom tic marks. Do one and either the top or the bottom then use the MIRROR command to mirror what you drew to the opposite side.

Thanks, ill attempt a go at this now.

What size paper were you thinking of using when you plot? ISO A4 210x297mm

Do you know anything about creating and using layers? not a clue sadly =[

Do you know how to create a text style? only fonts and sizes

Are you familiar with the ORTHO command and OSNAPS? shift + right click, and snap to centre, perp, mid point etc?

Ive put answers in :)

To add to ReMarks remarks.

From modelspace draw your title block as you have shown to a size for your printer and part of the world. For the lower right titleblock area give yourself some more space so you can have text that says Name: and then to the right of that you create an attribute so when you do insert this the attributes can be edited while the titleblock stays as a block. You create attributes by starting the ATTDEF command, for now just concentrate on the three lines to the right, tag, prompt, and default. The tag for this example could be name, the prompt could be "enter drafters name" (don't include the quotes), and prompt could be X or ---, you pick OK and then pick to place the attribute text. Repeat for the other lines. Now save the file to mytitleblock.dwg. Now in a drawing set a layout current, insert, mytitleblock, place at 0,0, you will be prompted for the attributes, so fill those in. If you aren't prompted for the attributes then double click on one of the --- attributes and then fill things in.

The attributes will show up in the order you created them in the drawing mytitleblock.

There is obviously lots more to it but that should get you going.

Thanks rkent, ill comprehend your post as i work as i understand what your approach to my problem is i think :).

I don't really think this was covered... but a really good start is going to be to go to File > Paper Space Manager, create NEW, and set up all your printing options, printer, paper size, etc.

When you do that, you'll see a line around the edges of your paper space that shows the printable area of you paper size as specified by your printer. That way, you know exactly how big you can make your title block.

I don't really think this was covered... but a really good start is going to be to go to File > Paper Space Manager, create NEW, and set up all your printing options, printer, paper size, etc.

When you do that, you'll see a line around the edges of your paper space that shows the printable area of you paper size as specified by your printer. That way, you know exactly how big you can make your title block.

99161446.png

Is that where i want to be? thanks

Of course you could start with one Autodesk provides. In AutoCAD, open, at the very bottom of the dialog use the drop down to specify drawing template .dwt, now above you have several choices for files, pick one like Tutorial-mMfg.dwt. When it opens saveas to mytitleblock.dwg (any name you want.dwg). Go from there.

Of course you could start with one Autodesk provides. In AutoCAD, open, at the very bottom of the dialog use the drop down to specify drawing template .dwt, now above you have several choices for files, pick one like Tutorial-mMfg.dwt. When it opens saveas to mytitleblock.dwg (any name you want.dwg). Go from there.

A great starting block for me, thank you rkent for directing me to this :)