How to change 2009's layout to a "classical layout"?

Zzap

Click the arrow near the top left where it says "2D Drafting and Annotation" or the "Gear" icon near the bottom right. They're called "workspaces" now.

Also, welcome to Cadtutor

Workspaces.jpg

Ok... this looks nothing like the screen I have. I don't have model tab nor layout tab. The version I'm using is entirely new (not my computer, btw). It's one of Acad's new enhanced versions of layout... I'm looking for the "classic (old style)" version that has the screen shot like you have, Nestly. I've hit every menu available to me, including using the help function. It's as though the classic screen is entirely unavailable to me. I'm no novice at Autocad, been work'n autocad since release 14. I know where everything is with the screen shot you have shown but I"m in a pinch here try'n to convert this screen to what you have so I can pick up speed and get some work out. No one here knows this stuff, (they're all total novices to Autocad) which is why I'm brought in... but this screen is drive'n me NUTS!! I can change it on 2010 and 2011... where's the 'click' for 2009?

They did say that after they installed it the computer crashed and had to be restored by IT. The program seems to be lacking some basic functions (IMO) but it could just be due to it defaulting to the set "new and improved" screen autocad keeps creating with each version. I'm just try'n to get it to convert back to the "classic" view.

Post a screenshot of your screen.

Clean Screen (CTRL + 0) perhaps? Are you using AutoCAD for Windows (as opposed to AutoCAD for Mac) or maybe one of the verticals such as Civil3D or AutoCAD Architecture? Your profiles says AutoCAD2009, is that the version you're having trouble with?

How to post a screenshot:

1) Make sure AutoCAD is showing, then Press the PrtSc key

2) Open Microsoft Paint and Paste the screenshot (CTRL+V)

3) Save the screencap as a .jpg files

4) Click the "Go Advanced" button below the Quick Reply window in this topic

5) Click Manage Attachments to upload your screenshot.

Also, if you're using regular AutoCAD and the Classic workspace is available, you can access it by typing WSCURRENT at the command line, then ENTER, then AUTOCAD CLASSIC.

That's the ticket, Nestly... THANKS! I'm not at that work station at the moment. I'll be getting back to it on Tuesday. Suffice to say this agency's drafter (when he got laid off recently) scrambled a lot of drawings, disconnected xrefs and sent those backgrounds to gawd knows where on the server, or outright deleted them. Absolutely no one at the agency knows diddly about autocad other than to open a drawing, click on verbage and edit. The HUGE partial "X" that appears on their screen at drawing start up scares them to thinking the computer program is acting up. They don't know how to even zoom extents and click on the xref to determine it's path location. Their plotters are eliminated from the plot manager (they don't know how to map them to autocad) and their vast clientel base of plot files are missing. No doubt renamed in some folder and replaced elsewhere on the server, too. These folks are friends of mine so I'm offering to get them back up to speed so another drafter can take over and not be dogged down trying to get them caught back up. If they offer, I just may take the job, myself. I only need four more years to retire, haha.

Thanks again, Nestly. You folks have a pretty nice forum here I wish I'd have come across some time ago. I've been drafting for 30 plus years. Seems like you have some real talented folks here I would like to get to know. I'll pop on now and then and learn something in the process. CHeers, folks!!

Frank

Cool, that was a total shot in the dark which I didn't really expect to work because that didn't even sound like AutoCAD was fully loaded. I'd still like to see a screencap of what was there before.... as far as I know, there aren't any new workspaces in AutoCAD that are substantially different than the image I posted above (less the ribbon of course for Classic)