Civil drafting school project help

Autocadstudent

I am working on Plate 2 of the civil drafting project for Penn Foster..I am on page 19 cut and fill part...I do not understand how to do cut and fills...I am still awaiting my questions to be answered on how to do these for Problems 22-14 and 22-15 in the Civil Drafting Study Guide. I have read the materials on pages 19 and 20 in the study guide a number of times and I still seems to be stumped. I am hoping someone can post an image of plate 2 and/or tell me how to get going on this...

PLEASE AND THANK YOU!!!!

In order to understand how to show the fill area on plate 2 (there will be no cut area due to the elevations around the driveway/building site), it is necessary to understand the angle of repose. The angle of repose is simply the slope of the land adjacent to the road or the home. In other words, the amount or grade of slope each side of the road has.

Repose angles are generally expressed as a ratio, for example 1.5 to 1. This is the ratio of the distance away from the edge of the road compared to the change in elevation at that distance. For example, with a 1.5 to 1 ratio, for every 15 feet we move away from the road, the elevation will change by 10 feet.

Therefore, to find our fill area we would first offset the sides of our driveway (draw offset lines) into 15 foot increments. At each of these offset lines, the elevation will change by 10 feet. So if our driveway is currently at 180 feet, our first offset line will represent 170 feet, the next 160 feet, etc. Everything along that line will be at that same elevation. This slope and these lines represent the final grade of the land.

Now, if we apply these to the current land elevations represented by our contour lines, we can find the points where the two elevations are the same. As an example, let’s use the point where our offset line of 170 feet crosses the original contour lines of 170 feet. We would put a point at each of these intersections, and do the same for all of our offset lines and their comparable contour lines (160, 150, 140 etc). Then, once complete, we can connect these points by drawing lines which together forms our fill area. Any place that the original elevation is below the final grade of the land, it will be fill; and any place the original elevation is higher will be cut (again remember there is no cut in this drawing area). An example of this procedure is shown in the top portion of figure 22-48 of your lesson book.

You also need to create a cut and fill layout ratio (the bottom rectangular portion of figure 22-48). The ratio “rectangle” can be created outside of the drawing area and copied/inserted into the lower left hand corner of drafting plate 2.

The same procedure would be followed to create the “fill area” around the building site “house footprint” except that the angle of repose is 1:1 which means our offset lines would be spaced 10 feet apart (and not 15).

• 1 year later...

In my drawing 0+00 start at Row ((( i Begin counting from 0+00 and go on .my grids finish at 4+00 . Please help me !i feel i am stuck!

Lana: What exactly is your problem? Are you referring to the stationing (ex. - 1+00) along the centerline of the driveway?

I found solution of that. Now at other step i don't understand how to draw intersection from point 0+00 to PT 1+93.87. Do i need to rotate drawing from previews plate ?

Thank you a lot ReMark !!!!!!!!

From 0+00 to the point of curvature (P.C.) is 50 feet. That will be a straight line. Next you'll use the curve data to draw the arc that starts at 0+50 and ends at the point of tangency (P.T.) which is station 1+93.87. Didn't Penn-Foster include the curve data in the project instructions PDF? I can't recall.

OK...I checked. P-F specifies the radius, delta and length of arc in the instructions. Page 18 I believe.

From station 1+93.87 to station 3+78.90 will be a straight line. That also equates to the end of your driveway centerline.

Edited by ReMark

THANK YOU VERY MUCH!!! IT WAS HELPFUL INFORMATION !I've done horizontal profile , getting ready for vertical drawing!!!!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...
I'm so lost with this right now. I cant figure out the starting point on this.

This wouldn't happen to be the Capitano property drawing would it? If it is the place to start is shown in post #6 of this very thread. You need to create a grid to place the spot elevations in their correct locations.

I have the grid set up and the spots numbered already Its just Im having a hard time figuring out the start of the 90' contour line. Im looking over the instructions again.

It starts about 11.22 east of BM 312. You have to interpolate between the spot elevations of 88.9 and 93.8. The procedure is explained on pages 11 and 12 of the project instructions.

• 1 year later...

I have seen other threads dealing with portions of this plate. I saw the one that says the curves or the property line around the cul-de-sac match up with the already drawn ROW. I'm not sure what I have done wrong but my property lines are not lining up. Any suggestions as to what I might have done wrong? I have included part of the instructions and my drawing.

Any help would be welcome.

Thanks

• The new residence address will be 362 Ocean Avenue. 1. The centerline of Ocean Avenue is 40.58 feet south of the northeast corner of the surveyed area. The centerline has a bearing of S77°44′17″W and extends a distance of 407.11 feet from the eastern edge of the surveyed area. (At that point, Ocean Avenue ends in a cul-de-sac.) The distance from the centerline to the curb on each side is 15 feet, and the distance from the centerline to the rightof-way on each side is 25 feet. 2. The exact center of the cul-de-sac is 10.00′ from the western end of the avenue’s centerline. The center is at a bearing of S12°15′43″E from the end of the centerline. The right-of-way circles around the center of the cul-de-sac with a radius of 35 feet, and the curb circles around with a radius of 25 feet from the center of the cul-de-sac. The cul-de-sac right-of-way connects with the avenue’s southern right-of-way to form a fillet with a radius of 10 feet. The cul-de-sac curb connects with the avenue’s southern curb to form a fillet with a radius of 20 feet.

Now you can layout the Capitano property. Use Layer Row for property lines. Also, use Layer Row (and style ROMANS-6) for the text describing the length and bearing of each property line segment. The point of beginning (POB) for the property is 178.48 feet from BM 312 at a bearing of S49°49′39″E. 1. From at the POB, draw a 445.72′ line segment at a bearing of N77°44′17″E. 2. From the end of the last property line segment, draw a 53.71′ segment at a bearing of S12°15′43″E. 3. From where you left off, draw a 139.66′ segment at a bearing of S77°44′17″W.

Civil Drafting Project.dwg

I figured out my mistake.

I have seen other threads dealing with portions of this plate. I saw the one that says the curves or the property line around the cul-de-sac match up with the already drawn ROW. I'm not sure what I have done wrong but my property lines are not lining up. Any suggestions as to what I might have done wrong? I have included part of the instructions and my drawing.

Any help would be welcome.

Thanks

• The new residence address will be 362 Ocean Avenue. 1. The centerline of Ocean Avenue is 40.58 feet south of the northeast corner of the surveyed area. The centerline has a bearing of S77°44′17″W and extends a distance of 407.11 feet from the eastern edge of the surveyed area. (At that point, Ocean Avenue ends in a cul-de-sac.) The distance from the centerline to the curb on each side is 15 feet, and the distance from the centerline to the rightof-way on each side is 25 feet. 2. The exact center of the cul-de-sac is 10.00′ from the western end of the avenue’s centerline. The center is at a bearing of S12°15′43″E from the end of the centerline. The right-of-way circles around the center of the cul-de-sac with a radius of 35 feet, and the curb circles around with a radius of 25 feet from the center of the cul-de-sac. The cul-de-sac right-of-way connects with the avenue’s southern right-of-way to form a fillet with a radius of 10 feet. The cul-de-sac curb connects with the avenue’s southern curb to form a fillet with a radius of 20 feet.

Now you can layout the Capitano property. Use Layer Row for property lines. Also, use Layer Row (and style ROMANS-6) for the text describing the length and bearing of each property line segment. The point of beginning (POB) for the property is 178.48 feet from BM 312 at a bearing of S49°49′39″E. 1. From at the POB, draw a 445.72′ line segment at a bearing of N77°44′17″E. 2. From the end of the last property line segment, draw a 53.71′ segment at a bearing of S12°15′43″E. 3. From where you left off, draw a 139.66′ segment at a bearing of S77°44′17″W.

• 2 years later...
On 9/7/2013 at 1:16 PM, fofa said:

In order to understand how to show the fill area on plate 2 (there will be no cut area due to the elevations around the driveway/building site), it is necessary to understand the angle of repose. The angle of repose is simply the slope of the land adjacent to the road or the home. In other words, the amount or grade of slope each side of the road has.

Repose angles are generally expressed as a ratio, for example 1.5 to 1. This is the ratio of the distance away from the edge of the road compared to the change in elevation at that distance. For example, with a 1.5 to 1 ratio, for every 15 feet we move away from the road, the elevation will change by 10 feet.

Therefore, to find our fill area we would first offset the sides of our driveway (draw offset lines) into 15 foot increments. At each of these offset lines, the elevation will change by 10 feet. So if our driveway is currently at 180 feet, our first offset line will represent 170 feet, the next 160 feet, etc. Everything along that line will be at that same elevation. This slope and these lines represent the final grade of the land.

Now, if we apply these to the current land elevations represented by our contour lines, we can find the points where the two elevations are the same. As an example, let’s use the point where our offset line of 170 feet crosses the original contour lines of 170 feet. We would put a point at each of these intersections, and do the same for all of our offset lines and their comparable contour lines (160, 150, 140 etc). Then, once complete, we can connect these points by drawing lines which together forms our fill area. Any place that the original elevation is below the final grade of the land, it will be fill; and any place the original elevation is higher will be cut (again remember there is no cut in this drawing area). An example of this procedure is shown in the top portion of figure 22-48 of your lesson book.

You also need to create a cut and fill layout ratio (the bottom rectangular portion of figure 22-48). The ratio “rectangle” can be created outside of the drawing area and copied/inserted into the lower left hand corner of drafting plate 2.

The same procedure would be followed to create the “fill area” around the building site “house footprint” except that the angle of repose is 1:1 which means our offset lines would be spaced 10 feet apart (and not 15).

thanks! good explained now let me see if i ca do it in my plate 2 thanks :)

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Does 1.5:1 need to be a verry specific number? 

Edited by JonnaMcSki
saw a post I missed the first time I went through the thread.

This is an expression of rise to run as a ratio.  In this case it means that for every 1.5 units the line rises, it runs 1 unit.  That means the slope of the line is 1.5:1. 

Edited by ReMark
  • Thanks 1

Or as other people know it,  it is run to rise. Horizontal measurement before vertical measurement.

Best make sure which way round, otherwise the slopes will exceed the natural angle of repose and there will be landslides.

• Like 1