Is Acer a good laptop for landscape architecture student?

anabel

I'm thinking about buying a new PC laptop so I went to the Frys, the salesman suggested me this laptop, Acer AS5552-7803

Genuine Windows® 7 Home Premium - 64-bit version, AMD Phenom™ II X4 Quad-Core Processor N970 (2.2GHz, 2MB L2 cache), 4GB DDR3 1066 SDRAM, 640GB hard drive, Acer® CineCrystal™ 15.6" display (1366 x 768), ATI Radeon™ HD 4250 graphics with 256MB, AMD M880G chipset, 8X DVD±RW DL, webcam, multigesture touchpad, 802.11b/g/n, Gigabit LAN, HDMI™, 2-in-1 card reader, 6-cell battery, 1-year limited warranty. Color: mesh black

Here is the link, http://us.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/model/LX.R4402.210

I'm a full time student so I can't afford anything thats too pricy.. I will only use it for AutoCad and Photoshop etc..

Can anyone give me some suggestion on this:cry:

I greatly appreciate your help!!! :D

I have an acer laptop and had No problems with CAD on the screen, the blacks were very black not dark grey. My screen is a 17" widescreen which I find a bit small sometimes but if a 15.6" is the best you can get without paying silly prices it'll have to do. I can't follow your link but check if the card reader will fit your cameras card (unless it is twelve in one :) ) find out how much memory you can upgrade to as later versions of CAD are likely to get more bloated and use more memory.) The build quality of my Acer is great but it is now 5 years old and I can only still use it as I replaced windows with Ubuntu.

Are you going to be producing 3d drawings? If not I can run sketchup and LT perfectly well with an onboard 64MB graphics card on my desktop but one of the others will have to advise for 3d with that graphics card.

an acer laptop will not be any good for an architectural student as it will not match your black turtleneck sweater, and all the cafeteria style nazis will shun you for not having a little glowing apple on the lid. you'll be doomed to drawing door schedules for eternity if you buy this laptop. LOL

an acer laptop will not be any good for an architectural student as it will not match your black turtleneck sweater, and all the cafeteria style nazis will shun you for not having a little glowing apple on the lid. you'll be doomed to drawing door schedules for eternity if you buy this laptop. LOL

Haha, that is quite true these days. Apples are everywhere. Although for 3D modelling and any engineering software, you do need a Windows system.

Actually not too bad for $600. Maybe leave the specs on the lid with the price so the Maccies can be amazed what one can buy without an offering to Steve Jobs!

@Glen1980: Thank you so much your respond! It's really helpful! the salesman gave me some discount, its only 500$:D

@designerstuart & f700es: Lol I'm using a 2008 Macbook now but because Apple and Autodesk are making some kind exclusions so I have to buy a PC to run AutoCAD. I want to switch to PC ...