AutoCAD 2010 scaling help

personofthefurby

For a school project, I had to survey a piece of land and make a drawing of it. The size we surveyed was 80x60 divided into 16 20x15 individual plots. We also had to add trees, roads and other various surrounding objects.

The paper has to be on size B(11x17) and must include a title block. I've plotted everything I need, and all I have to do is scale it to equal 1" on the paper is 20' in the plot and create a title block.

For the scaling: I've tried going to Output>Page Setup Manager, but I can't get it to work properly. I also don't have a printer capable for printing this size paper, so I can't have a practice print. How can I do so to make sure it matches the scale?

For the title block: I was going to make it in a layout tab once I got the scaling down. I'm not sure if this is the right thing to do, so I could use some help here too.

As for scaling, remember that 1 foot is 12 inches. For 1"=20', the actual scale is 1 to 240. Look into scale lists.

If you have a printer and it can handle 8 1/2 x 11, you could print two halves of your drawing. If your print preview looks okay, though, the print should be okay.

As for title blocks, some people put them in paper space, some in model space. I prefer paper space, because that reduces clutter around the model and sometimes there are multiple layouts.

yes i'd definitely put the title block in paper space - please do not scale the model ALWAYS DRAW AT FULL SIZE! then use a viewport in paperspace and make that whatever weird imperial scale you desire!

this way you will also plot your paper space at full size, i.e. scale 1:1.

I knew to always draw it at full size, so that's been done. And I've tried to set the scale 1' to 240 units, but that makes the model space (it's labeled viewport when I roll my mouse over it) ridiculously small. I can print it to a PDF to make sure it's okay, that way I'm not wasting paper yet. Here's my settings I used, and a PDF that was created using the settings.

settings:

[ATTACH]26858[/ATTACH]

pdf:

[ATTACH]26859[/ATTACH]

I have approved your post.

Until you reach the minimum 10 post requirement, you can only include one attachment per post. If you try to attach more than one file your post will get moderated by the forum software and you will have to wait for it to be seen and approved.

yes i'd definitely put the title block in paper space - please do not scale the model ALWAYS DRAW AT FULL SIZE! then use a viewport in paperspace and make that whatever weird imperial scale you desire!

Set your plot scale to 1:1

Cad64: Thanks for approving the post. I'll make sure to meet he requirement before I post two or more links again.

SLW210: If I set it to 1:1, how do I make it so it prints at 1" to 20'?

Just follow the directions by designerstart.

Make your title block the size of your paper that you will be plotting, make a viewport and scale the model to fit in your titleblock.

As for scaling, remember that 1 foot is 12 inches. For 1"=20', the actual scale is 1 to 240. Look into scale lists.

If you have a printer and it can handle 8 1/2 x 11, you could print two halves of your drawing. If your print preview looks okay, though, the print should be okay.

As for title blocks, some people put them in paper space, some in model space. I prefer paper space, because that reduces clutter around the model and sometimes there are multiple layouts.

Unless they used 1 unit of measure = 1', then the scale would be 1/20xp. If 1 unit of measure = 1" then it would be 1/240xp.

I'm sorry, but I'm still confused. I'm not sure if I've asked the wrong question, or that everybody is telling me the right answer, and I don't understand how to do it.

I've made it 1:1 (and I did use 1 unit of measure = 1'), but that makes it so the veiwport will fill up the entire paper. That part is what I wanted and thank you.

Unfortunatley, I need to scale the actual drawing in the model space to make it so 20' in the drawing is 1" in real life. If possible, I can post the project I am working on to see if it would help clarify, or if I'm doing it completely wrong.

Manual way - while in a layout, double click inside the viewport to make it current. Type Zoom, 1/20xp, enter. Double click outside the viewport. Click on the viewport boundary, right click, lock viewport.

With toolbars, double click inside viewport, use viewport toolbar, find 1:20 scale. Double click outside, lock viewport as above.

I still cant see your uploaded files so can not see what you are trying to show, But They are all telling you to scale in paper space in your view port not when you go to print you always print at 1:1 at the print stage unless you are changing paper size, once you have that done you can then print on what ever paper you have set your viewport at ok?

Edit Sorry didnt see rkent had sloved your problem