A question about a title block I created

Polar_Bus

Hi folks, my first question. I created a standard title block template drawing for my student classwork exercises, and when I constructed the title block I keyed in real dimensions to ensure the title block would completely print on a piece of 8.5 X 11 paper. Now whenever I attempt to draw a large scale drawing (say a 36" dia circle, it draws the circle well outside my title block. I know why this is happening, I just need some tips about how to allow a title block template to be constructed around my current drawing reguardless of the drawing scale. Thank you !

Welcome Polar_Bus.

Have you inserted your title block in paper space (in a layout) or model space?

Do all your drawing in model space.

Insert your title block in a layout, create a viewport, double click in the viewport and set your drawing scale, double click outside of the viewport to revert back to paper space.

To add to Tyke's excellent advice.

Create a separate layer for your viewport(s) and set this to "No print" in the Layer Properties Manager.

Once you have set your viewport scale click on the viewport itself and in Properties set the option "Display locked" to Yes. This will keep your viewport scale from being inadvertently changed.

Welcome Polar_Bus.

Have you inserted your title block in paper space (in a layout) or model space?

Do all your drawing in model space.

Insert your title block in a layout, create a viewport, double click in the viewport and set your drawing scale, double click outside of the viewport to revert back to paper space.

Tyke, I have not done anything with my title block yet. I am completely new to AutoCAD. I constructed a traditional title block dimensioned to approx 7.5" X 10" and saved it as a .dwg file. Can you post up a quick step by step process or possibly link me to a easy to understand tutorial ? Thank you for your help !

Rich

Whoa! 7.5x10 title block? What's in there, the kitchen sink?

I would have saved it as a template file (.dwt) and then used the "From template" option in my Layout to pull it in.

Polar_Bus,

I was also new to AutoCAD, self-taught, and I found that the best way to understand title blocks is to reverse engineer the title blocks already created from Autodesk (don't save over them).

As ReMark suggested, .dwt files. When you click Ctrll+N you have multiple options for which template to choose. Open an Imperial one (since you're using inches) - go to paperspace - click the title block - and then click on block editor and you can see how they're created.