Converting shape fonts (.shx) to TrueType (.ttf)

Blam

A client asked if it would be possible to convert all of the text in a bunch of drawings to TrueType font. They asked if there was a lisp routine that would do this or some program. There reasons for this is to be able to print a PDF with searchable text.

But it sounds like there are many complex issues to this problem in my superficial searching of an answer to this. I don't know if there is a magic bullet solution.

Has anyone attempted this? Even if you haven't, feel free to comment or suggest anything.

Why look for complications? Just change the Font in Text Style from a SHX font to a TTF font. Might use a script to do it.

Perhaps your client thinks that enquiring about a lisp routine makes them sound as if they know something about it. :shock:

Why look for complications? Just change the Font in Text Style from a SHX font to a TTF font. Might use a script to do it.

Perhaps your client thinks that enquiring about a lisp routine makes them sound as if they know something about it. :shock:

Would be the simplest route, but I hope the OP chooses an alternate font with a matching typeset width.

eg.

likethis.png

I've seen fonts floating around the net that are TTF versions of SHX files. Find the one you want (everything will look the same), put it in your font folder and follow eldon's suggested procedure.

Try the method suggested to convert a .shx to .ttf. Changed romans.shx in the c:\program files\AutocAD 2011\fonts directory to romans.ttf. Did not show up in the font list in the textstyle dialog. Tried copying it over to c:\windows\fonts and it said the font was not a valid font (Win 7, 64bit).

But I do think the client could be happy with another font, like arial or someting. I probably could try to find a lisp that will mass change fonts.

But the drawing examples I'm looking at have a bunch of text styles (some nasty ones that have binding residue in them like ROMANDS$0$XREF).

I probably could try to find a lisp that will mass change fonts.

I will repeat what everybody else has said, this is easily done with a script to change your text style, there is no need to do this with LISP.

LoL, is that really all that's involved to successfully 'convert' an SHX to TTF?

I'm going to use that method to convert DGN files to DWG from now on.... ;-)

Try the method suggested to convert a .shx to .ttf. Changed romans.shx in the c:\program files\AutocAD 2011\fonts directory to romans.ttf. Did not show up in the font list in the textstyle dialog. Tried copying it over to c:\windows\fonts and it said the font was not a valid font (Win 7, 64bit).

That is because that write up is totally bogus.

I wish it was a text style, but it's a bunch of jumbled text styles with no set pattern of name. It looks like it would have to have some conditional statements like "If font is X, change it to Y."