Block Issues

Gary "No Big" Di

I have a block problem. I have created 5 dwgs (in another program) inserted the first 2 and then upon attempting the thrid the block came in as the same as the second one that I inserted. I've recreated the dwg in the intial program but it didn't help. I've tried the remaining two blocks and they also come as identical matches to the second one. Copying from one dwg to the dwg i'm using doesn't work either, still comes in matching the second block i inserted.

I've tried everything...someone has got to know what I'm doing wrong.

I would purge that block name if it lets you...If it doesn't purge it is still in there somewhere. You can explode the blocks in the plan and reblock as another name if necessary.

without seeing the blocks it is very difficult to understand what is happening. I still suspect a block definition is repeated so would try purging first - or post the blocks here for us to look at.

there are blocks with blocks or "nested blocks", and each one does have a block in it that matches (by name) a block in one of the other four blocks. but if i explode it completely in it's own dwg file the create a new block it still comes in incorrect.

how do i purge the blocks list?

How do i post the blocks so you can see them?

to purge block-names from your drawing, type the command PURGE and either Purge All, or highlight the Block-section and Purge them.

Remove all the blocks, do a PURGE, and then try to insert your new, no-nested-block blocks and see what happens.

when you do a Go Advance when you reply here, you can Manage Attachment and upload a block that way.

you can only have one definition of a block by name. If you have block1 defined in a drawing then insert another block that has a different block1 within it, you will get the definition already in the drawing shown. This is a very strong feature of AutoCAD once you understand how to use it but very frustrating until then.

I don't really understand what you are trying to achieve yet. Why do all your original blocks have a sub block with a shared name? There are several ways to eliminate this problem but the safest way is to rename the sub blocks uniquely at source.

You can purge blocks with the PURGE command but it will only purge blocks not in the drawing. If a block is nested it is considered in the drawing even if it isn't visible.

you can attach files by pressing the "go advanced" button just below your edit window which will reveal the paper clip attach files icon. There is a size limit on files but if these are small blocks it should be OK.

[ATTACH]26918[/ATTACH]

not sure if this worked??? but it also appears to be attached to the message...we'll see if you guys can view it

It worked, I can download the block just fine. It is done with an Edu-version just so folks know.

So I assume that this is one of the 5 blocks that you have? And the doors are the blocks that are the same in all 5 parent-blocks? But in different configurations? As long as the parentblocks are named differently, I don't really see why this wouldn't work to be honest. Perhaps someone else has a better grasp on this.

Dave - but you explain it so much better than me :)

Gary, the thing to bear in mind is that each block has a definition. The one already in the drawing wins if there is a conflict (although there are ways to force the issue). The definition defines how the block looks, whether graphical elements or text and even rotation. If two people have drawn the same named block with identical shape but one is rotated they cannot exist in one drawing without one upsetting the other.

As your block has been done with the education version I'm afraid I won't be looking at it at work. It is a reportable offence to open drawings from other sources there and while I take some risks, that is one I'm not going to pursue.

See below for a picture of the block.

As I understand, this is one of the main blocks. All the "kitchen parts" are blocks and they are named differently. But these main-blocks are all made up of the same kitchen-parts, just in different combinations.

[ATTACH]26919[/ATTACH]