Frustrating lag time

Tula

I am a CAD user at work and have used the program for a number of years. I recently started with a new company in which they use AutoCAD 2010 on Windows 7 and 64bit computer and CAD. And on top of all this I have a brand new HP computer. Sweet stuff.

My issue is that when I use commands like move, copy, rotate, snapping to objects, etc. there is a lag time. Not so much in commands like zoom or pan. This is causing a frustrating experience and our IT guy is no help. He knows nothing about the program and no one at work has any ideas as to how I can fix it. I've already tried to reinstall the program. That helped a little but I'm still pulling my hair out when I'm creating my documents. Can anyone please give me some suggestions or direct me to a source where I can find some answers? Thank you in advance for your help. :cry:

So you are, in essence, working off the network. That could be a possible source of the problem.

Have you tried copying the drawing file to your hard drive then working on it?

I have done that with no luck. There are other people in my office with my same computer and everything that don't have my problem. :huh:

What are your full computer specs?

Have you ruled out the possibility that your computer is infected with a virus which is a common culprit responsible for slow/unresponsive computers?

Do you get drawing files from outside sources (a client or contractor or sub)?

The computer is only 2 weeks old. I know they put a bunch of security stuff on my computer and I haven't download hardly anything at all so far. The things that I have downloaded have been from trusted sources. No other documents/files from other firms have been shared just yet but that is will change next week on a new project I'm working on.

HP EliteBook 8540W

Intel ® Core ™i7 CPU M 640 @2.80 GHz

4GB Memory 64 bit

Windows 7

I'm getting a drawing out this morning but I will try that link shortly.

I wonder why that particular article has not been updated for versions beyond 2007. Could there possibly be a more recent version that addresses the same issue for 2008 thru 2011?

Hmm, i'll look into trying to get someone with a admin password to make sure my computer is all mapped out properly. They are getting tired of paying for the IT guy to come out here so that might be a little challenging. He was out here about a week ago and downloaded something which made my CAD about half better. So of course when he was here everything seemed to be working just fine and smoothly but then he left. Ya know ... that whole story.

In the mean time, any other ideas?

I've done much of the suggestions. At lunch I'll start combing through the stuff that need more detailed attention to which things to turn on and off.