Scale and measurement

Johnny Henrick

I am very new to autocad. I have a drawing and when I measure the width of a window it says 30.9, when it is supposed to be 1100mm. Is it possible to change the scale so that the measurement is correct?

Thank you

Check your measurement standards with the UNITS command. Obviously you want metric units, but AutoCAD doesn't assign a specific type of yardstick to the numbers, only the type of formatting.

It's not clear what you mean by window. Is that a viewport or a physical opening in a wall?

According to my calculations, this isn't a simple imperial/metric conversion issue. If you do have a viewport, check its scale.

you can scale the entire drawing.

type SCALE and follow the instructions. When it gets to "scale factor" press R (for reference) then type 30.9 and 1100.

The Window is a physical opening in the wall. I tried to measure the window frame. When I used the same file in Dialux (a lighting calculation program) Then I was able to change the scale so that the drawing was 1:28.090909. Is it possible to do the same in autocad?

the drawing in autocad should be 1:1 - then use a viewport in paperspace to make it print whatever scale you want to see it. the steps to doing this are simple, just look in autocad help for each item.

i recommend:

scale the drawing as dbroada says

switch to paper space

set up paper space to match your printer paper size, A1, A3 or whatever

create a viewport

scale the viewport to the size you want

print from paper space

Hi all

I kinda have scale problems as well.

I am trying to make a model of a bridge with length about 214m. I've set my insertation scale units to be in mm. So in the model space when I want to enter a new line of length 214m, do I enter it as 214 or 214000? I tried entering 214000 and the line exceeds the model space. Any tips?

Thank you

I am trying to make a model of a bridge with length about 214m. I've set my insertation scale units to be in mm. So in the model space when I want to enter a new line of length 214m, do I enter it as 214 or 214000? I tried entering 214000 and the line exceeds the model space.

"the line exceeds the model space"--not sure what that means. Model space is theoretically infinite. If you mean it went far outside the area of interest, that happens every day.

If you want inserted objects to show up in mm, then you have to draw in mm, or else scale down the objects when you do insert them. The idea is to draw everything actual size. However, AutoCAD doesn't enforce a particular unit type. If you draw a line of length 10, it could be inches, centimeters, or parsecs. It only becomes an issue when you bring in something at another scale.

If these hints don't help, describe your issue in more detail. Have you actually inserted anything in your drawing? Did it scale properly? Will you eventually print your drawing, and if so, at what scale?

I got it to work now, thanks!

"the line exceeds the model space"--not sure what that means. Model space is theoretically infinite. If you mean it went far outside the area of interest, that happens every day.

If you want inserted objects to show up in mm, then you have to draw in mm, or else scale down the objects when you do insert them. The idea is to draw everything actual size. However, AutoCAD doesn't enforce a particular unit type. If you draw a line of length 10, it could be inches, centimeters, or parsecs. It only becomes an issue when you bring in something at another scale.

If these hints don't help, describe your issue in more detail. Have you actually inserted anything in your drawing? Did it scale properly? Will you eventually print your drawing, and if so, at what scale?