Need some help in solidworks

tomtanzy

Dear all,

I'm new to Solidworks, as well as this forum. I'm trying to play around with an assembly file but am stuck at some point.

I've attached an image of the assembly assembly.jpg.

What I'm trying to do is to extend the whole assembly. I manage to extend the rod but unable to move the selected side. Can any expert please kindly advise?

assembly2.jpg

Thanks in advance!

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• tomtanzy

• SLW210

• Quagga

• shift1313

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

welcome aboard. How was this assembly drawn? Where all the parts drawn in the assembly and referenced to each other or were they brought into the assembly? I see when you selected your stop block that a 2mm dimension is shown. This is preventing you from moving the part more than likely.

Was this assembly drawn by you or are you just trying to modify it?

Thanks for the prompt response.

I didnt draw the assembly, definitely not with my skills at the moment. I downloaded it from festo website, and I'm trying to modify it. I've attached a link to the the file, but it's still pending for the mod's approval.

Anyway, will I be able to "shift" the stop block to the end of the rod, is it even possible?

Well in an assembly there are things called Mates. The icon is a paper clip. At the bottom of the feature tree you can expand it and see the mates in the assembly. For each part they will have their own mates icon that shows only the mates applied to them. That 2mm that pops up on screen tells me that you have a few mates keeping it from moving. If you could expand the mates and take a screen shot maybe I could be more help.

sorry for the delayed response..

I've attach another printscreen, but there's only 1 mate. Hence, unable to expand.

mates.jpg

I've read up regarding mates but still confused.. I dont think mates are the one in this case or am i wrong?

I've also tried floating and was able to move them, however, the stop blocks and rods will be moved together..

Anyway, I just saw that the mod has approved my post. Post 2 has got the link to the assembly file.

Post 2 has got the link to the assembly file.

A sldasm file is only a RECORD of hyperlinks to sldprt files and assembly constraints. There are no parts in an assembly file - you must include the part files with the assembly file.

Edited by JD Mather

Thanks for the prompt response.

I didnt draw the assembly, definitely not with my skills at the moment. I downloaded it from festo website, and I'm trying to modify it. I've attached a link to the the file, but it's still pending for the mod's approval.

Anyway, will I be able to "shift" the stop block to the end of the rod, is it even possible?

What was the part number from the FESTO website ?

so I can download and try to do what you want, as downloading from freeserve is crap.

Cheers

Al.

Dear all, I'm sorry for the uploaded file. Didnt know I had to include the part file as well.

I've amended the link with the new files, as well as changed to yousendit, instead of file serve. Hope it works this time.

Sorry Quagga, ive forgotten the part number for festo, it has been a while and it was kinda random the other time I downloaded.

OK, I opened the file.

What are you trying to do?

Initially you said to lengthen rods, but I don't see that in your last attachment - did you get it lengthened as desired?

Why didn't you post link to original Festo download?

Not sure how this was done - but it wasn't done well.

None of the sketches are constrained and not modeled efficiently.

Did you use feature recognition on a dumb solid?

You second question seemed to be about mates - I didn't see any assembly constraints?

Can you explain exactly what it is you want to do?

Are you guys able to download the file? Any help will be greatly appreciated.

No, I cannot download the file, my work computer blocks such sites as do many others. As mentioned by JD Mather, just post the link to the part on the FESTO site.

Hi JD Mather,

I managed to lengthen the rods but I saved it as another file.

The file that i attached is exactly the one that I downloaded from festo. Like I mentioned earlier, it was quite sometime ago and I lost the link, hence I didnt post it here.

Shift1313 mentioned that it could be due to mates in the earlier post, however there wasnt any constraint like u said.

Actually what I want to achieve, ok please let me explain again..

Original: |====|

What I manage to do: |====|====

What I want to do: |========|

Is it better? Or more confusing?

No, I cannot download the file, my work computer blocks such sites as do many others. As mentioned by JD Mather, just post the link to the part on the FESTO site.

so sorry.. I will go find the link now..

This is not the same file.

But as everyone can see - downloads from FESTO are macros, (.slb extension).

JD - that is why it appears to be modelled strangely.

The original file was 32783_SLM_20_200_KF_A_G why not just download one with longer rails? e.g. 32783_SLM_20_500_KF_A_G. If you just need experience with Solidworks, try some of JD's excellent tutorials

This is not the same file.

But as everyone can see - downloads from FESTO are macros, (.slb extension).

JD - that is why it appears to be modelled strangely.

The original file was 32783_SLM_20_200_KF_A_G why not just download one with longer rails? e.g. 32783_SLM_20_500_KF_A_G. If you just need experience with Solidworks, try some of JD's excellent tutorials

No, FESTO sends the file type requested. The OP needs to request the correct file type.

No, FESTO sends the file type requested. The OP needs to request the correct file type.

Not going to argue wif da hulk but the European FESTO sites, U.K. & Germany Solidworks files are only macros !!!!!!!!!:x

I am on the US site and several options available. IGES STEP .SAT DWG3D + a lot more, If need the OP should contact them for a proper file or use the US site.