Will AutoCAD 2010 32 bit work on a 64 bit system?

Currahee

OK...this may have been asked a million times...if so I am sorry...but will AutoCAD 2010 32 bit work on a 64 bit system with Windows 7?

Why not use the 64-bit version of 2010?

If you have Windows 7 Ultimate I think you can get 32-bit to run in compatability mode.

I have AutoCAD 2010 32-bit running on a 64-bit computer. I am using Win7 Ultimate however. Win7 Pro 64-bit will run it too.

I have AutoCAD 2010 32-bit running on a 64-bit computer. I am using Win7 Ultimate however. Win7 Pro 64-bit will run it too.

Thanks so much...I am planning on buying a new laptop and didnt want to buy the 64 and cad not run on it!!

• 2 weeks later...

If you use Win 7 Pro or Ultimate you can download Virtual XP from Microsoft and run both XP and Win 7 on the same machine. Then you could load the Autocad on the XP side of the software 32 bit. There is different ways to look at what software to use. Running 32 bit software on a 64 bit machine degrades the memory usage also. If you are going to run 64 bit O.S. you should go with the 64 bit Autocad. I would check with Autodesks web site to see much troble others are having with 32 bit on 64 bit O.S.

If you use Win 7 Pro or Ultimate you can download Virtual XP from Microsoft and run both XP and Win 7 on the same machine. Then you could load the Autocad on the XP side of the software 32 bit. There is different ways to look at what software to use. Running 32 bit software on a 64 bit machine degrades the memory usage also. If you are going to run 64 bit O.S. you should go with the 64 bit Autocad. I would check with Autodesks web site to see much troble others are having with 32 bit on 64 bit O.S.

True, but I wouldn't recommend it. Especially in a network environment since it's technically a virtual environment. Drive letter paths and directories don't have a "C:\..." style path. Plus I don't think it picks up on any of the computers actual hardware drivers. It creates a simulated driver just to get things to function so there could be severe problems.

Now I run Win 7 Ultimate 64bit at work, and I have a version of AutoCAD LT installed on the Windows XP Pro VM just for CAD Management purposes for the guys running LT (Tool Palettes, scripts, macros, templates, etc) and it works just fine, technically. But I still wouldn't rely on a VM as my primary source to run CAD due to OS incompatibilities with AutoCAD.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm not sure why you'd want to run the 32bit ACad on a 64bit OS. I LOVE the speed increase I get with 64bit 2011 over the 32bit version!

However, I have seen the opposite with Revit. The 32bit version on XP is a lot more responsive than the 64bit on win7. And there you don't even have the choice of installing the 32bit on a 64OS.

And yes, VM's aren't great for graphics work. They generally have some arb software graphics driver. I know the Oracle (nee Sun) VirtualBox has an experimental Direct3D driver, but from my experience it's very prone to crashes when turned on. I've used this previously by having XP inside a VM on Ubuntu, it works about the same speed as XP direct on the same PC, but tended to crash every now and again - more so than usual.

• 1 month later...

How were you able to install it? I keep on getting this error: "you cannot install this product on the current operating system"

AutoCAD 2010 comes with both 32bit and 64bit media. Just use the 64bit disc and you'll be fine.

I need to run CAP Studio and it's only compatible with autoCad 32-bit version. Just wondering if there's a way to install the 32-bit version ony my 64-bit OS.

Yes, you can install 32-bit AutoCAD on a 64-bit system provided you have the appropriate version of Windows.

I have Windows 7 Ultimate. I still keep on getting: "You can not install this product on the current operating system" when I try to install from the setup.exe

Is there a way to get around this? If so, how?

• 9 months later...