Zoom All Not Working Predictably

Bill Tillman

I created a drawing which had several details in it. When the client asked me to create a separate drawing file for each one I thought no problem, I'll just erase the details from the master file except for the one I want to keep and then save the file with a new name. That worked well but now that I have the model space all cleaned up with only one detail left in it and then do a zoom all, the zoom takes me way out like there are still objects left way out there in the model space. I have fenced around these blank areas of the model space to see if it comes up with anything but there's nothing there apparently. I have also done SELECT+ALL to see if anything else get's highlughted but again nothing. I can zoom and then fence around the detail so it will fill the display but this is the results I would expect from a Zoom+ALL or Zoom+EXTENTS.

hmmm i get this sometimes too.

is your origin miles away?

are there blocks or xrefs with insertion points in silly places?

all layers on and thawed?

purged and audited?

sometimes when i clip a very large xref i get this issue, but that doesn't sound likely here. in such cases, i think unloading the xref worked temporarily, or reattach for a permanent fix.

Well, yes there is a single and very simple block I included in this drawing. There are no XREF's and I did a PURGE ALL on it. The block was inserted many times all over this file, possible 100 occurrances or more.

OK, I finally got my head out of my you know where. There were many layers on this one and one of them had been turned off. That resolved my issue. Many thanks.

Just a suggestion Bill if your not using layouts next time use Wblock and just write out the individual bits of the dwg to a new dwg much easier than erasing etc