Creating Dynamic blocks correctly

Hi,

I have been creating dynamic blocks within a drawing by:

-creating wblock

-inserting wblock into drawing

-editing block to add dynamic properties

I have noticed that this is only keeping the dynamic properties for this one drawing! when i try inserting the block into a new drawing it's only a standard block.

How do i edit these so that they are insertable to any drawing?

Thanks

Personally I set up a single dwg which contains all of the dynamic blocks of a similar type e.g symbols for flat plans etc. Then I save the file and create a tool palette and drag the blocks into the tool palette, set up properties like 'prompt for rotate' for all the blocks I want, this can be done en masse with shift and click. Then I import blocks into the working drawings from the tool palette, this has the advantage that it will remember layer names and colours so I have consistency through all of my drawings i.e I only have 00 electrical rather than 00 electrics, 00 electrical & 00 electrical symbols all in one drawing (I place 00 in front of all layers so my layers are at the top of the layer manager will all x-refs below it.) Also if you are placing a lot of dynamic symbols you can right click after placing one socket for example and you will have another socket block ready to place straight away.

I'm not sure I follow the WBLOCK part. WBLOCK is the command to write a block to disk as an individual dwg file.

But in answer to your question, what I do is

Draw block elements in a new drawing.

BLOCK the elements ENSURING I select a sensible insert point.

At this point I either exit the block dialogue box or click the open in block editor box and continue

if I exited and now want to add element I BEDIT and select the block I want.

add dynamic properties and exit.

Now the stage you may be missing

WBLOCK the new block to a common area. That block can now be inserted in to any drawing you want and should remain dynamic.

I use 2008 but it shouldn't be very different for your version.

I have found that if I take a block, make it dynamic and then insert it, often times the regular block is inserted in lieu of the dynamic block even when the thumbnail of the block indicates it is dynamic. I have to make sure the regular block is erased from the drawing, then purged. Next time I insert it the dynamic block is there.

I also save all dynamic blocks in one file as Glen1980 mentioned above and it works great.

Hi All,

I need help regarding Block Attributes.

My Problem is that i have a block.dwg and i want to import data collected from our surveyors as Metres and Decimetres, i.e metre should be the attributes with a height of 7 and decimetre should be next to the metre but with height of 5..i have a thousands of points to be imported and after modifying it i will also be exporting it to excel...

Any Help would be appreciable

Thanks

haven't you already asked this elsewhere? Posting the same question lots of times on this forum doesn't get you help any faster. We all read most of the topics and will help where we can but we all get fed up seeing the same question over and over again. this is especially counter productive when you drop it on to an existing thread rather than creating a thread of its own.

• 2 weeks later...

Glen cheers for that, it all works fine, i'm not a real big fan of palette's however i am starting to use them much more now and have started setting up my block libary with them.

Dave, i have done it the way you have said, but now when i insert the block from common area i have to explode it before the dynamic properties are available. i have seen over peoples dynamic blocks that look they have been created properly and when opening one a message appears asking if you want to open it in block editor.

sorry for taking so long to reply, for some reason i'm sometimes unable to post on here!! hopefully this time it works

when you WBLOCK are you selecting the block from the drawing (I think so) or pressing the block button on the dialogue box?

Glen cheers for that, it all works fine, i'm not a real big fan of palette's however i am starting to use them much more now and have started setting up my block libary with them.

Get used to CTRL+3 to open and close it, much easier than clicking on the toolbar. Also Ctrl + 1 toggles the properties panel on and off, Ctrl + 2 toggles the design centre. I like free screen space!

cheers dave, from what have said i have figured it out, just what i wanted.

Glen, i have found i like my palette, X-ref man, and design centre anchored, i also played with custom buttons to change the palettes path to my chosen palette as i wasn't keen on having lots of tabs and want blocks at a couple of clicks. working nicely if the cui manager don't keep playing up!!

cheers for all help, happy fridays drink time!!

Glen, i have found i like my palette, X-ref man, and design centre anchored

I have mine anchored I just turn everything off when I don't need it as I only have one 19" monitor and screen space is at a premium, I also only have one line of icons plus the little line next to the AutoCAD button at the top of the screen.

cheers for all help, happy fridays drink time!!

The sun is out the pub beer garden is definitely calling!

I have my tool palette, properties palette and (usually) my calculator all auto hidden on the RH side of my screen. Gives me plenty of screen area but they are available when needed.

I bought myself an USB calculator that doubles as a keypad for the left side of my keyboard. Unfortunately my hand eye coordination is awful so auto hidden boxes always get displayed by mistake!

the other change I have - and this one REALLY annoys IT so its worth doing anyway - is I have my windows task bar auto hidden at the top. I moved it a long time ago, I think so I could get at the AutoCAD tabs without triggering it but I really can't remember. Now its a bit of a pain as I get print notification at the top which sometimes gets in the way but I'm not changing (just yet).

I did that a while back and it was priceless to see them flailing about when they were on remote access!

I did that a while back and it was priceless to see them flailing about when they were on remote access!

Auto Hide>Anchored Left. :D