Change Comparison surface on a Volume surface Civil 3D

cadjunkee

I have a volume surface in Civil 3D which has a base surface and a comparison surface. I want to know if there's a way to change the comparison surface? Without having to create a new volume surface.

Reason I ask is because I have a Volume surface based on an existing ground surface and a subgrade surface and once every week or so we get a new subgrade surface from our client and I have to go through the process of creating a new volume surface. I want to know if I can keep the old volume surface and just change the comparison surface to read the new sub-grade.

No, but you can workaround the problem by using a third surface.

As an example, create a third, empty surface - I'll call it "Surface C". Now paste your SG Surface into Surface C, and create your volume by comparing your EG Surface to Surface C. When you get a new SG Surface, delete your existing SG Surface and pull in the new one, then paste your new SG Surface into Surface C.

Hey sinc,

Thanks for the answer, not sure why I didnt think of doing it like that! Still would be nice if you could just change the surfaces with a drop down menu, who knows maybe Civil 3D 2015..?

Maybe... :)

Another thing that causes people problems is that Spot Elevations cannot be reassigned to a new Surface. You can work around that issue in a similar manner, though, by attaching your labels to a "dummy" surface, and then pasting other Surfaces into the "dummy" surface. (You can also work around the problem by using a different label type, such as a General Note or Cogo Point label, and setup a Reference Text component to the Surface. But that forces you to pick the Surface each time you create a label.)

Kind of clunky, eh? But it works. And yeah, hopefully one of these releases will simplify this stuff so we don't need to use the "dummy" surfaces anymore.