importing data from excel into AutoCAD 2011 Map 3D

jmsimpson

I have an excel file with several thousand lines of data and they all have UTM coordinates attached to them. I would like to have the data mapped out as points once imported. Is there a way to import this data into AutoCAD without going through ODBC? I have also imported the data into Access so retrieving the data from there is possible as well.

Also, once I get the data into AutoCAD, I would like to merge it (if that is the correct AutoCAD term) with some shapefiles I have already imported into AutoCAD. Any advice will be of help. Thanks!

I have an excel file with several thousand lines of data and they all have UTM coordinates attached to them. I would like to have the data mapped out as points once imported. Is there a way to import this data into AutoCAD without going through ODBC? I have also imported the data into Access so retrieving the data from there is possible as well.

A number of ways may work. What data is in the files as far as attributes or fields that you want to carry over? Are you just wanting points at the x&Y locations or data attached to them. Save the excel file to txt or CSV format and use the mapimport command and select the ACSII Point file format.

A number of ways may work. What data is in the files as far as attributes or fields that you want to carry over? Are you just wanting points at the x&Y locations or data attached to them. Save the excel file to txt or CSV format and use the mapimport command and select the ACSII Point file format.

I would like to plot the excel points and associated data from the file to the points. It's more complicated for my case because I am unable to use an ODBC connection. I've tried importing the data as an ASCII file and it hasn't worked.

I would like to plot the excel points and associated data from the file to the points. It's more complicated for my case because I am unable to use an ODBC connection. I've tried importing the data as an ASCII file and it hasn't worked.

Right ODBC doesn't work with Excel files in 2011, Access or SQL does. Can you post the first few records (rows) of the data you need to import? Also are you using Civil3D (this is the C3D forum)

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Murph,

Here are a few lines of my data. As far as description goes, is there anyway to inject more than one criteria of description into the inputed data?

Point UTMe UTMn Z Desc

15-0288 4187600.24 251578.12 0 ABCO

23-0807 4187755.37 251742.63 0 ABCO

28-0055 4187470.64 251826.78 0 ABCO

29-0015 4187463.77 251834.07 0 ABCO

Thanks for your input!

Edited by jmsimpson
formatting was wonky

Is there a reason you have decided to create a second post?

I merged and cleaned up the two threads. Next time just request to have it moved. It is less confusing for those that answer your question.:thumbsup:

Edited by SLW210

Hi Murph,

Here are a few lines of my data. As far as description goes, is there anyway to inject more than one criteria of description into the inputed data?

Point UTMe UTMn Z Desc

15-0288 4187600.24 251578.12 0 ABCO

23-0807 4187755.37 251742.63 0 ABCO

28-0055 4187470.64 251826.78 0 ABCO

29-0015 4187463.77 251834.07 0 ABCO

Thanks for your input!

If you delete the first line (Point, UTMe, etc) and use PENZD Space Delimited your points insert OK. Check the coordinate system and then you may have to scale the blocks used for the point marker after the import.

Murph,

That kind of worked. What I need to do now is make the points smaller. Why is each point represented by a large crosshair and how can I reduce the size of the font and the crosshair so my thousands of points are readable.

Thanks for the help

The crosshairs and text are the blocks that it uses to bring the points in. You can select them all (or use Quick Select and select all blocks named Map_survey_point) then in the property palette set the X,Y,Z scale to a smaller number.