C3D crashing

Openantics

c3d crashes when i try and import a CSV file with about 7K records. Do you think the CSV is contaminated, or my hard drive where C3D is loaded is starting to fail?

The file will import occasionally, after choking for nearly 60sec, and i tried converted the CSV to all dif types: space or comma (prn, xyz,etc), renamed it, moved it, nothing

I tried re-installing/repairing c3d and that didnt work (i just uninstalled and will try a different drive).

any known issues with importing points?

tia

7000 points is not really that many. Are you able to try it on another computer?

"the file will import occasionally" - so it does work soemtimes?

How much RAM does the computer have?

well, i definitely think you are on to something here. The workstation is a dual-core 2.23GHz w 4GB ram and a NVIDIA GeForce 7300LE with a relatively new HDD. Vista needs a clean reinstall, and i am toying with that idea now. At the very least, these projects i have been working on are fractions of the size of our bigger projects, whose points files can reach 50MB, and i didnt even attempt to load these.

i was unable to find reccommended computer specs for C3D, so could anybody offer minimum computer specs?

For 32-Bit AutoCAD Civil 3D 2011

• Windows® 7 Enterprise, Ultimate, Professional, or Home Premium (32-bit); Windows Vista® Enterprise (SP1 or SP2, 32-bit); or Windows® XP Professional (SP3, 32-bit).
  • Intel® Pentium® 4 processor or AMD Athlon, 3.0 GHz or faster; or Intel or AMD dual core processor, 2.0 GHz or faster.
  • 4 GB RAM minimum recommended.
  • 7 GB disk space with 2 GB free after installation.
  • 1,280 x 1,024 true color video display adapter (true color) 128 MB or greater, Pixel Shader 3.0 or greater, Direct3D®-capable workstation-class graphics card. 1,600 x 1,200 or greater recommended. Multiple monitors are supported.
  • Microsoft® Internet Explorer® 7.0 or later.
  • DVD drive.

For 64-Bit AutoCAD Civil 3D 2011

• Windows 7 Enterprise, Ultimate, Professional, or Home Premium (64-bit); Windows Vista Enterprise, Business, Ultimate (SP1 or SP2, 64-bit); or Windows XP Professional x64 Edition (SP2, 64-bit).
  • AMD Athlon 64, AMD Opteron, Intel® Xeon with Intel® EM64T support, Intel® Pentium® 4 with Intel EM64T support.
  • 4 GB RAM minimum(8 GB recommended).
  • 7 GB disk space with 2 GB free after installation.
  • 1,280 x 1,024 true color video display adapter (true color) 128 MB or greater, Pixel Shader 3.0 or greater, Direct3D®-capable workstation-class graphics card. 1,600 x 1,200 or greater recommended. Multiple monitors are supported.
  • Microsoft® Internet Explorer® 7.0 or later.
  • DVD drive.

Notes:

• Microsoft® Windows® 7 is recommended.
  • Microsoft® Windows Vista® offers better memory management over Microsoft® Windows® XP.
  • 64-bit operating systems are recommended over 32-bit operating systems because of the larger amount of available memory for applications.

Have a look at http://indydrafter.com/civil-3d-2011-workstation-suggestions/ also. If you or the company you work for can afford it, double the ram to 8Gb.