How would I draw the orthographic projections for this in AutoCAD?

cyter

Also which view should I use as the top view?Engineering Graphics Object.jpg

I'm remaining with the orthographic projects of the object [see image] and the project is due some time next week. I'm having a hard time drawing the orthographic projections. Please help.

I use AutoCAD 2009

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JD Mather

• cyter

• ReMark

• tzframpton

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I would rotate that view 90° for Front View and then project top view off of that.

But from the questions you have been asking - I suspect this is far too ambitious for something due in one week.

I would rotate that view 90° for Front View and then project top view off of that.

But from the questions you have been asking - I suspect this is far too ambitious for something due in one week.

I'm done with the front, top and side views, but I'm having a hard time drawing the orthographic projections of the object.

I'm now confused. The orthographic projections of an object are the front, top & side views. Where you put them depends on if you are drawing first or third angle but they are the same view.

As Dave mentioned you have already drawn the three normal orthographic views so what's left? I suppose you could add an isometric view. You could even add an auxiliary view but a pair of pliers really doesn't require it. Doesn't your textbook have a chapter on views of an object?

As Dave mentioned you have already drawn the three normal orthographic views so what's left? I suppose you could add an isometric view. You could even add an auxiliary view but a pair of pliers really doesn't require it. Doesn't your textbook have a chapter on views of an object?

Oops :oops:

I meant the isometric views. ISOMETRIC VIEWS.

Drawing an accurate 2D iso view of a complex mechanical assembly such as vise grips would be pretty difficult. Accurately, that is.

But to get you started, type DS at the command line and under the Snap & Grid tab, change your Snap Type to Isometric. Use the F5 key in the drawing space to rotate the orientation of the crosshair. Also, change your polar tracking to a 30 degree angle. That's the basic Isometric setup. From there, the skill for drafting something in Iso view is the true test of drafting talent. 8)

Normally only one isometric view is required.

I would imagine that any isometric view would be a quite a challenge in AutoCAD.

Isometric.jpg

I meant the isometric views.

Are you required to show the hidden lines?

I think I would model in 3D and have the software create the views.

Hidden Lines.jpg

I'm willing to bet that JD had that model on a server or CD someplace for the past 5- 10 years and just pulled it up. I recall doing an assigment for that years ago. It was also a good example to use for 4 bar link systems for mechanical theory.

Yes. I'm required to show the hidden lines. That's one cool isometric view of the vise grip plier.

And if I may ask, what command would you use to create the views from the 3d drawing?

visegrips.JPGIsometric views ain't all that hard in autocad. Granted, this is crudely roughed out, but I got about 35 minutes in it. Would take about another hour to make it look like it should.

And if I may ask, what command would you use to create the views from the 3d drawing?

If I were working in AutoCAD I would use the solprof command.

Section planes can be used for your orthographic projections, and flatshot can be used for your isometric views.