*.LIN file error

tinKing

I am trying to use an existing acad.lin file (from work) at home so I can access the established line types. However, when I try and load the line types out of work's LIN file it comes up with an error saying "bad definition of [name of line] at line 23". Basically any line definition that references a *.shx file gives a "bad definition" error. Wondering if anyone can help me solve this as it would make life a lot easier to use the line types from the established LIN file.

A typical line of code in the LIN file that causes an error is below:

*EX_FENCE,Existing Fenceline symbol ----/-----/----/-----/-

A,.567,-.150,.567,-.150,[slash,ltypeshp.shx,x=-.125,y=-.125,s=.250],-.150,.567,-.150,.567,-.150

- I have copied all the relevant *.shx, *.Lin and *.shp files into a single directory on my desktop

- in ACAD I click on 'load' in the linetype dialog box and open the LIN file on my desktop

- on opening my works LIN file in ACAD I get "bad definition of EX_FENCE at line 23" type error. Any lines which have given an error do not show and are unavailable to select for use/loading.

- I am using ACAD 2010, work is an earlier version (think 03/07?)

Thanks in advance.

In the standard ltypeshp.shx file there is not a shape called "slash". Therefore someone has added to a standard file, but called the combined file the same name. You have not yet found this file, and the only way that you can tell is by de-compiling the shx file, or finding one that is slighter bigger than the standard one. (the size of mine is 103 bytes).

The best of luck in your hunt :(

From now on, please make only one post in one section for a particular question. I have deleted your extra post. If you post in the wrong section , it can be moved by a moderator.

So does that mean if I fiind the correct ltypeshp.shx file and just copy it into the directory of the current acad.lin file (ie. a directory on my desktop) it should work or do I have to copy it into the ACAD program directory? The ltypeshp.shx I have found is bigger than the standard one (208 bytes) so it might contain the "slash" shape, but unsure how to check.

(sorry about the multiple post - wasn't sure how to remove from other forum section)

I am not too sure what you mean about those different directories. I found my ltypeshp.shx in the support directory of the current Acad program. If there is already a file called ltypeshp.shx there, I would rename that to ltypeshp.old before I copied the larger file to that location.

Have you tried to de-compile the file with the Express Tools DUMPSHX ? It only works on the OS command line. If you have difficulties, post the ltypeshp.shx file and I can have a go.